1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Centipede vs St. Aug

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Kleen Kutz, Mar 1, 2013.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i wish every yard had that kind of grass. it never has weeds. it chokes them all out. you don't even have to treat it or anything. it basically takes care of itself as long as it rains or gets watered. :laugh:

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

First, there are not any "St. Augustine" seeds. It must be grow from, Plugs or sod. Second, there is a world of difference between Centipede and St. Augustine. Get to know your turfs as St. Augustine spreads quickly and is mowed at 4" level or higher. Centipede will only grow a little and is a beautiful grass but has got to be respected. I personally like that grass. Both do not like too much foot traffic. Can't use some of the same herbicides, each has a different fertilize requirement. No Chlorine based potassium on centipede--It will cause decline.
    Do a lot of reading

3. Kleen Kutz

Kleen Kutz LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ama,La

I've seen St. Aug seeds many times. You also can do a lot of reading and research.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

5. QLM

QLM LawnSite Senior Member

Dude it grows from plugs! I would not type st aug seeds ever again. DOES NOT GROW FROM SEED! How long have you been doing this?

What I would do price the job removal and laying new sod. witch would need to be done asap. Then give her an option on trying to fert and make what she has look better.

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Bingo.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

if she wants an instant yard then lay all new sod....if she wants a cheaper way out but will take years to complete then plugs....

8. Kleen Kutz

from Ama,La

I know I've seen St Aug seeds several times before. I'm not saying anyone is wrong. What the HELL, it's only grass.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Why does she want to switch to St Aug?

10. Kleen Kutz

from Ama,La

Because she don't like the way centipede looks. Since St. Aug is more of a thicker grass.
    Posted via Mobile Device