1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Central FLA questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FLAWSP, Dec 18, 2003.

FLAWSP LawnSite Member

I'm new to the Central FLA area and was hoping to get some good info here. Do most LCO's spray a liquid pre-emergent and then dry spread fertilizer in the fall and spring ? Or do they use a Pre-emergent encapsulated granular to eliminate double apps for the tech? Which yeilds the best results on St. Aug.?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Florida LCO that apply pre-emerge get $5,000 Fines from the state Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control. Doesn't Matter how they apply it Liquid or Granular.

Since you are new to Florida You need to check out Florida Law. As a lawn service you can Apply fertilizer, But not Roundup or any pesticide unless you hold a Pesticide License from the state of Florida. The only exception is Homeowners of single family residents.

FLAWSP LawnSite Member

I apologize for any confusion, by LCO(PCO) I meant that my company is a commercial applicator, authorized by Ch 5E-9FAC and has been issued a Lawn and Ornamental Pest Control License under Ch 482 FS. I just passed the pesticide applicator test at FTGA this year in Tampa. We haven't treated any lawns yet- I was just kinda thinking I may get some tips/advice from some wise operators on this site. So, which is the better product for St. Aug?-granular pre-emergent or flowables such as PRE-M
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

You had better read your License again. You are not legal to apply Pesticides to TURF only Ornamentals and then only certain Pesticides may be used. If you don't believe me then Call the BEPC at 1-850-921-4177 What you have is a Roundup License.

OK How do I know you only have a Roundup license? First Because Florida License test is the hardest in the Nation and if you could pass it you would not ask this Question. Second Because The test is not given but in one city in Florida and Tampa is not that city. Oops I will take the one city statement back because I passed the Fumigation test in Ft Liquiordale when it is given once a year after a prep Class by the U of F research center.

BTW operation Sting is program to turn in violators and all Pesticides companies will turn you in.

FLAWSP LawnSite Member

Sorry to have come here for some friendly info. My company has followed every regulation and law since coming here 1 year ago. Under FL law we can't treat residential lawns until we succesfully make it through a one year probation. We haven't treated a single lawn yet. We have also become BMP certified by Dr. Laurie Trenholm of UF. The test that I passed in Tampa allows me to apply pesticides under the license that my company has earned. The last thing we will do is put our business in jeopardy. BTW- we don't have the "Limited Certification" that you may be thinking of. We have the "Pest Control Business" license type issued for "Lawn and Ornamental Pest Control"(contract services treating trees , shrubs,flower beds, and turf). All the testing in the world won't tell me what someone with 20 years of experience can. We are legal to operate. I know that most companies use granular, but some spray pre-emergent, and I was just wondering what factors may have infuenced the decision. The last thing I want to do is stir up the locals over a simple question. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
  6. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

Hey Ric since you are the govenor of Lawn Site back off this poor guy since you just ripped him. Maybe he does have the right license for turf in Florida but since you know the all of the illegal applicators why dont you turn him in. LOL He is asking a simple question if you dont like it dont answer him since it seems you attack everyone in Florida or is it that you are afraid of some good competition.
  7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Noodleheads in the peanut gallery ought to bottle their testosterone and lay off their keyboards. Someone roaring in from left field with personal attacks is not contributing anything intelligent to this thread.

A negative meeting of the minds, real or imagined, is the best way to learn, if you are here for learning. Will Ric learn something he doesn't already know about FL pest licensing? Will FLAWSP learn more about his situation? Probably both will learn something. And any other FL guys reading will learn something useful to them.

Now Jim's just gonna sit back and watch some more. (If Kevin's nose is out of joint, please utilize PM or email functions.) Hope FLAWSP isn't really offended and hashes this out with Ric so others in FL can see how it is resolved.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

FLAWSP & Kevin M.

What you both need to understand is I spend a great deal of money and time to go back to college and get a degree in my 60's. I paid big BUCKs for insurance Licensing and CEU each year for the legal right to apply Pesticides. Therefore when I see or here of any one applying Pesticides without a license I get very up set. However I have only turned one person in and Helped a Certified Pesticide Operator to get a big fine when he refused to listen to me about the label he was using to reply to BEPC complaint. That CPO was in fact "Elvis 6" a member here at lawn site. He turned in a Dursban TC label as the product he used on Shrubs. TC is Termite Concentrate.

The applicator test was going to be a required test, but was dropped as a requirement. However as a applicator with or without the test you need to work under a Certified Pesticide Operator that is Licensed. That CPO is responsible for your actions and should Know what and when to apply. As far as a one year probation That doesn't wash and sounds like you might be hooked up with a rent-a-license outfit. Therefore before I give any advise you need to supply me with more info as to what your Licenses is and with whom.

Just give me a web address and page number to Fla.482 that tells me this "NEW LAW" and I will tell you anything you want to know about applications on St Augustine. BTW you question even shows me how little you know time of applys as well as products.