central florida mower selection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snip & clip lawns, May 9, 2007.

1. snip & clip lawns

snip & clip lawns LawnSite Member

I'm new to the site and to the green industry. I would like responses from experts in Florida that cut primarily st. augustine grass. In my town I have a john deere, cub,& everride dealer.
    I would like one of these as my dealer if possible. I am looking to get a 60" ztr.
    My next closest is a yazookee and ferris, and there is also an exmark dealer. The last two dealers are about 40 minutes away
    I would like opinions on cut quality and durability of these units

2. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

Are you already an established business? Do you have accounts lined up, or are you just starting out? Don't rush out and buy an expensive rig if you do not have any acoounts set up yet. I prefer exmark myself, as I am in Jacksonville. But you will see, there are many people who like different products here. That is the good thing here. People will post and give you feed back on what they use. This site is a great source. GOOD LUCK!

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Don't worry so much about the mower brand, find out how annoying or wonderful the dealer is to work with. I bought a Gravely, great mower. My local dealer is such an idiot I have to drove 50 mile EACH WAY to get service.

Around here the Deere dealer doesn't stock any parts and usually has a 2 week wait on delivery. the Cub dealer is a fool. I got a demo and he put the blades on wrong then yelled at me when I said it cut like crap. We looked at the blades and found them to be on upside down and he blamed me for changing them. Last time I talked to him.

I don't have an everride dealer, but I am led to believe they are a second tier mower.

Usually, the best thing to do is get a great dealer and a first tier mower, Toro/ Exmark, grasshopper, Kubota, Scag, Hustler, Wright. But if you are starting out, I would definitely go used, decent shape, but used.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Demo an EverRide Worrior if you can. Cuts my grass wet with no clumps.

5. FyrFyt

FyrFyt LawnSite Member

Hey snip, I am up your way, what mower did you settle on. Maybe we can share notes.

6. Truly Beautiful Lawn Care

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Welcome to the site and also to the business. As previously stated, there is a wealth of information on this site. People are "cool" and give some good advice. My setup consists of: Exmark and Shindaiwa. I am extremely satisfied with the operation and reliability of both. But to each his/her own. See you around.
    Jay