Central Florida Pricing for Laying Sod

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ABeautifulCutAboveInc., Sep 12, 2006.

1. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc. LawnSite Member

I'm going to be doing a sod laying job for one of my annual customers. It's an area of 12' x 17'. The price of the sod is $92.40 and I'll have about 10 bucks in gas for traveling. I'll be doing the job by myself. Before I got there contract, they had a crab grass spot that was spreading. They sprayed the area to kill it. I have to pick the new sod up and load it on my trailer. (1/2 of a palet), I also have to remove the dead st. augustine and take that to my compost pile. For this job what's the general price I should charge them? My general price range was going to be somewhere between $200 to 225. Any body with professional advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.:)
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i would say that the $200-225 for just the labor is fine... then add the cost of the sod.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, the $200-$250 is okay for the labor only. In the Savannah Georgia area, we charge about $300 per pallet to lay sod (this includes the pallet of sod) and then we add the ground prep fee and any chemical treatments (fertilizing or Roundup, etc.) on top of the $300 per pallet.

If you charge $200-$250 for the entire job, you are underpricing...
  4. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Two different companies in this area charge 275.00 per pallet and that includes removal of the old stuff. How do you plan to remove the dead stuff?Do you have a Sod Cutter? I think 225.00 is fair, it won't take but about 45 minutes to put it down once its prepped.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

wow... that's really cheap.
  6. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a company that charges me .55c per sq.ft. an they do everything, i charge the client .56c
    Win win for me :)
  7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You're kidding right?
  8. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc. LawnSite Member

Thank you for the replies. No Kmann, I don't have a sod cutter, I haven't worked my way up to that point to be honest with you. I'll be doing it the old school way. :hammerhead: The area was sprayed a while back, long before I got the contract. I looked over the grass, it'll be fairly easy to remove. My guess was around 250-300 per palet. I just started about three months ago. Poncho, you said 56c. per square foot? How do you even make any money on that price once you figure in sod, gas, and labor? There's no way I can charge that, I'll be doing the job on my time, expense and labor for almost nothing.
  9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Actually guys, think about it. At .56c per square foot and on average about 450-500 square feet of sod on a pallet, then they are being charged about $250-$280 a pallet. If his contracted company does all of the transort and installation labor, then Poncho is making about $5 a pallet while standing back and watching, or from his living room chair. (10,000 square foot lawn, 20 pallets, that is $100 for someone else doing the work) Then two weeks later, Poncho gets up and goes and cuts the grass, every week for the rest of the season at (on average) about $40-$50 per visit.

Not bad if you do not really want to be in the Sod Business...
  10. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Not bad gig huh, Yes 250$ for labor sounds good then add the price of the sod and you should come out ahead nicely.