Central Florida Talent pool

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by bjm95, May 2, 2013.

1. bjm95

bjm95 LawnSite Member

I've put two ads out on craigs list to find a new employee. The response has been minimal at best. I've run the same ad before with a ton of responses. Has the employee/worker pool shrunk big time? Just curios if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Relax President Obama is in Mexico as we speak requesting more future Democrats to fill those positions.

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

lol man your on a roll tonight....

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

The economy is improving and thus those seeking jobs have more options than say 2 or 3 years ago. Are you sure your are paying a competitive wage for your line of work in your area? Have you reviewed others ads and seen what they are offering?

5. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Labor participation rate is way down near all time lows. There's no shortage of people who could fill these spots but they're getting a free check, ebt card, housing, health care, sex changes, and college educations........why would they bother looking for work?

But I did talk to my cousin who has the biggest painting company in my county, he says when he runs a Craigslist ad he gets 100+ emails about the position within a few days.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

A friends son just moved to Florida from Mass. He is collecting $ 600 a week in unemployment. In talking to him there is No Way he is taking any Job as long as he is collecting more than he can make working.

With 30 year fixed mortgage rates at a all time low, you can't tell me we aren't in a False Economy that is being pumped. I hate to say it but I believe this is only the calm before the big storm of National bankruptcy. Hopefully I am wrong.

7. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I couldn't agree more. The health of the largest economy in history can't be based on someone signing a few new lawn accounts. We have had meager GDP growth, unemployment is at 7.5 and only because we don't count people who stopped looking, home ownership is at a 65 year low, and labor participation rates are near all time lows. I also agree the economy is artificially inflated because the low interest rates you mentioned as well as the 80 billion per month the fed is printing and pumping into the economy. The stock market is up because interests rate are so low no one can make anything on a savings account or bonds so they have no other options. This is a sugar high in my opinion and isn't heading towards a bright future. My personal economy is fine as well BUT the economy as a whole is in deep doo doo, wait for obamacare train wreck to come crashing down on us.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am as Anti Liberal/Ovomit as a person can be, but this is not the Political Forum. Besides we don't need Green T's trolls in the Florida Forum. But I do agree the Economy is a High Speed Train heading down a dead end line to a huge Wreak. To be Politically incorrect, GOD SAVE OUR CHILDREN'S AMERICA.

9. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

No not really, you are looking in the wrong place. Call some of the local citrus growers, they have laborers that will be available when the citrus harvest slows down soon. Call a local college, UCF, USF etc. they have plenty of young men looking for work for the summer. If the checkout lady at the grocery or convenience store is Latino ask her if she knows anyone that is looking for work after the harvest, you will get more applications than you can handle.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  10. bjm95

bjm95 LawnSite Member

Good advice I will try that. Thanks!