central hydraulic systems in small trucks

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by snow, Nov 23, 2000.

1. snow

snow Guest

It seems as though some people have central hydraulics in trucks 3/4 ton and below. I believe Lazer has a honda engine powered central hydraulics. Just wondering that with the cost of it being around $4000, what are the benefits for smaller vehicles. I can see benefits on dumps, but on pickup truck and small vehicles what are the benefits? someone also said a truck burned because of a central hydraulic system. Also, why not use an electric or gas engine spreader? why choose central hydraulics on smaller trucks? Just a little curious.

Thanks,

Bryan

2. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I put central hydro on a truck for around seven hundred,you price seems a bit steep,but then again I do all my own stuff so maybe I'm out of touch on what dealers charge.

3. Alan

Alan Member

Maybe if you already have the pump and tank, as on a dump truck, you can do centrals for $700. But if you're starting from scratch there's no way you can do it for that money. For a new system you would be into it for $1800-2000 for components, plus labor. With shop rates here going in the $50/hr range and having to fabricate a lot of bracketry and hoses as you go along it would not be difficult to get another 1500-2000 into the installation, if you farm it out. I've done two of them now and they tend to be a money pit, although it's well worth the cost as far as I'm concerned.

4. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Alan can you post some pictures of some of these central hydrualic systems?

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Central hydraulics only cost about $2500.00 more than electric.

Over the service life of the truck, you'll get all that money back + basically never have to worry about downtime.

Our plow trucks have 12 funtions, which makes a difference also.

6. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer what type of trucks do you have and what equipment is on them ie dump bodie,plows sander?

7. diggerman

from Iowa

Northen has a hydro clutch pump that I have used for my smaller dump beds for $350 and aux tank for $70 and celenoid operated valve around $400 and I do all my own fabrication but usually a day will do it so thats why I thought $4000 was a little high.

8. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Plow trucks:
    1988-1996 Dodge. (x8)
    2 new Ford 350 & 550.
    All front/rear plows. (Boss V)
    + subcontractors
    Salter is on Ford 8000.
    3 Shoveling trucks.

9. Alan

Alan Member

Digger, how many circuits are you running off that system you describe? I figure at least 3 valve/cylinder circuits for dump and plow, then controls for spreader and possibly a flow divider. Hoses, control handles and cables (valve is mounted under the body)all add up pretty quick. Then there are the lines and couplers to run the spreader. Now if all you are running is a dump hoist that's pretty simple and quick, but it's sure not what I think of as a central hydraulic system.

What do you do to get the belts to line up on the clutch pump? I tried doing one where the belts were longer than stock and just went around the pump pulley aong with all the other belt drive stuff and it didn't work, could not get traction enough with only 90 deg. belt contact. I had to go with the auxiliary pulley which only comes in a kit with the mounting bracket. That alone is a quick $400. CPW has the parts kit for a central system with that configuration and it comes in at $1800+, but about all the parts are there.

[Edited by Alan on 11-25-2000 at 12:42 AM]

10. diggerman

from Iowa

I guess I'm just not used to paying retail,most of the time I am able to salvage parts to make what I need .My 1968 oshkosh will have celinoid operated valves off a street sweeper I had,its a $600 dollar valve I got off a non working piece of equipment.So you are proberably right if you are the type that takes your truck to the dealer and says here do this, then $4000 comes quick.I have never been satisfied with the way dealers spend my money so we manufacture all of our specialty stuff ourselves.