1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Certain Situation is Belt Drive understandable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mc24034, Jun 3, 2007.

1. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

I have agreed to sell my 52" Exmark Lazer Z(4500$) and Im planning on buying a new belt drive 48" Scag or Exmark(3250$). The reasoning for me to do this is that I only use the Lazer 2 days at max per week. I most of the time am using my Quick 36 and 21" Toro.

Ive never owned a walkbehind besides the Quick 36 and Ive always said if I got another one that Id get Dual Hydro. My question is for only planning on using the walk behind a max of 2 days a week I dont see the reason to purchase a hydro for 3k more.

Can anyone justify the reasoning to purchase a dual hydro over the beltdrive? Also with the price difference I will probably buy another Quick 36 Samuari.

Thanks in Advance.
  2. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that it depends on the properties. If there are hills, a lot of obstacles that would need easy reverse, or wet contitions. I would get the hydro as it's easier on turns...have you tried both?...you could always buy a slightly used hydro and be at the same price as the belt.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the belt drive Scag it will be fine. Hydro only needed if you are in small properties with a lot of obstacles and dead end mowing strips and if you have the money. We have two 32" Scag with belt drive and they have been super machines for many years....can't tear these units up and they last forever.
  4. mc24034

mc24034 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I personally like Exmark the best... but the dealer I buy all my Echo handhelds is a Scag dealer, so I think in respect to them for all they have done for me Ill go with a Scag.
  5. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

What about the Quick 44?
  6. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go belt drive.
  7. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

toro 40" with T-Bar on sale now for $2999 - i'm demo-ing one tomorrow evening - i have heard good things here about the controls but never used one
  8. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

I would look at the toro fixed deck 48" with T-bar controls - I just got back from the dealer and was very impressed with how intuitive it is - very easy to guide around on inclines - shifting could be a pain - i can't shift with my knee - there is a bar in the way - but I am pretty sure that will be the next big mower I by - poor mans hydro