1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GALAWN, Apr 21, 2014.

GALAWN LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience with using Certainty. It's in such a small amount that it will be hard to backpack spray which is what I need. It requires 2oz per acre but my calculator isn't working properly or my mind, most likely the latter. Can someone help me figure out how many ounces I need per thousand sq ft? Thanks
  2. dishman89

dishman89 LawnSite Member

It comes with a really small plastic measuring spoon. I think I used one lg level scoop per gallon in my back pack. Stuff last forever. It's easy.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I used it when it was still labeled for northern turfgrasses. Tried to kill off some K31 out of KBG/Per Rye lawns. Results were poor.
  4. dishman89

I never tried it for that. It works awesome on nut sedge and poa for me in Bermuda

GALAWN LawnSite Member

Yeah I want to use it in Bermuda here in Atlanta for a few lawns I treat. The mixing directions basically rule out anything but a broadcast app unless I can figure out what amount I need so spray 4k sq feet out of a backpack when it covers at 2 ounces an acre.
  6. dishman89

About 1.28 grams per 1000

GALAWN LawnSite Member

thank you so much dishman89. Saves me about a hundred bucks. Now I gotta look like a sketchball going to the local head shop buying a scale. luckily I can think of a few of my college buddies that I'm certain have one. Thanks.
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, be like me. Look like a tweaker. Set up the scale on the tailgate of the truck. Weigh out the Certainty on one of those little pocket "gem" scales wink wink, nod nod. Place in a glass measuring cup. Add water. Stir until the granules have dissolved. Finally, pour into the sprayer and add the remaining water+surfactant. BTW, no promises on how well the Certainty will work if the granules are not completely dissolved. Same procedure applies for metsulfuron, Celsius, and Tribute.
  9. BikePilot

BikePilot LawnSite Member

The certainty I buy comes with a little scoop. The label tells you how many scoops per gallon based on weed you want to control. Works great for me on sedges and poa in bermuda and zoysia.
  10. GALAWN

GALAWN LawnSite Member

Awesome, thanks for the answers. I usually put celcius straight in the backpack and then shake it but your method greendoc makes much more sense. I'm always finding myself shaking my back to try to agitate it and it only works half decent.