Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Golden Boy, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Golden Boy

Golden Boy LawnSite Member

Whats everyones take on the certification programs around the country (CLT, CLP, CNT, etc)? Are you certified? Do you plan on becoming certified? Do you think that it has/ will help your business?
  2. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

I'm assuming you're talking about certification or licensing for chemical applications. I'm all for it. Here in Indiana the lion's share of education required for licensing is safety information. How not to kill your clients pets or children and how not to kill a nearby lake. The continuing education is more in-depth on diagnosis and treatment.

On the personal level, the more you know, the better off you are. You do better work, follow the guidelines, protect yourself and the environment, and protect the long-term viability of the green industry. We normally lose our most effective products because some idiot used it incorrectly. And with the minimal cost involved, why not be legal?
  3. Golden Boy

Actually I was looking more for the Certified Landscape Technician, Certified Landscape Professional route. It looks like not to many people are out there to set themselves apart from the competition with National Certification.
  4. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I've wondered about this myself. It seems like everyone offers a certification...for a price. I have never met anyone with a CLT or CLP. Where are the people that have taken these cources??
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am more worried about the programs the local Ag office offers. It means more to people in my opinion.
  6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'll most likely be taking the CLT exam this summer. It would be great if someone who has take it could chime in.
  7. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I am a CTP as of last week, its offered through planet and the University of Georgia.
  8. Golden Boy

I am almost a CLT. To me it seems like, if you really know what you are talking about that, dropping some money to become certified is very worth it. Anyone could fix your truck but someone that is ASE CERTIFIED probably will do it better and fix it right the first time. People take pride in their lawns, lets take pride in our profession.
  9. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Prolawns and Goldenboy, please tell more about the program. Do you think it has helped with your overall knowledge of this industry? what is the focus? I am looking at that as well, I would love to learn more. Please share more I think many on this thread are interested in your take on this subject.

10. Golden Boy

lookup your state landscape organization or go to planet's website and learn about the differnet types of certification.