1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Certifications Can Generate More Business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by saysay, Jul 25, 2007.

1. saysay

saysay LawnSite Member

In Tucson, the city council is getting a step closer to enforcing all commercial properties to have a formal landscape irrigation audit conducted by CLIAs. This means, those companies with CLIAs are going to start getting loads of business. Apparently, this is the wave of the future, and a way to generate more business.
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like BS.

Here in jersey they have whats called the registered home improvement contractor. All business doing residential home improvements (anything over 500 bucks) must be registered with the state. Its supposed to weed out the thieves and crooks of the trade. Its just a money making scam by the gov't. They do nothing to inforce it nor to inform residents about it. They usually here it from me first and go "whatever".
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL about the only thing I've ever gotten out of registrations and other such mundane formalities is more spam and junk mail, seems like the wave of the future and a way to generate more business alright, so long you're the snake oil salesman. Other than that I don't see how a listing among thousands in some government records filing cabinet would increase business, the only folks who ever look at that are clerks, inspectors, competitors and folks like that, certainly not potential customers.

Evidently the odd but most proliferous marketers get their information this way, how they go about this I'd still like to know, but one thing I have learned is to watch carefully just how much information is given away in the registration, smart filing helps prevent the deluge.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever had a customer tell me they saw my name down at the county records office :laugh:
    But if they ever do I am sure it would touch a nerve, along the lines of 'what were you doing there?'
    How that would be any different from any other certification / registration ...
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

While I certainly dont disagree that spam mail would increase as they will sell off your name to make a buck, he is talking about actual certifications that you have to take a class and exam on. I suppose if the city is going to require it, then you best have it if you want to compete for that job in that market.
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

SaySay, from where are you in Phoenix? Do you operate a landscaping company?
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

It would obviously generate more money for those who had certifications.

But if anything ever went hay-wire due to category of knowledge that that certification didn't cover, then all certified people like that and the city would get a black-eye.

I won't elaborate right now - but this kind of thing can backfire, if the backfire makes the news.
  7. saysay

saysay LawnSite Member

To be more specific, I am talking about certifications from the IA, like the Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditor and such. With water restrictions and a centered focus on the landscape industry to install and maintain water-efficient irrigation systems, local government agencies and water purveyors are trying to figure out ways to save water outdoors. By having knowledgeable, informed irrigation professionals who are focused on ensuring their landscapes are water-efficient, it is inevitable that water will be conserved.

A sure-fire way to know and show professionals are knowledgeable is to issue certifications. This is why the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has recognized CIDs, CICs, CGIAs, and CLIAs through their WaterSense program. This may not seem like a big deal right now, but give it time. And for those of you who are ignorant to this, that is your loss.