1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

certified landscape irrigation auditor

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenworldh20, Sep 11, 2003.

1. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

anyone taken the clia exam or is anyone a clia...certified landscape irrigation auditior?

i have free time coming up this winter so i decided to get some more certification...i plan on taking the sima certified snow professional exam....just want to get some more irrigation certification to set me apart from the competition.

what do you all think?

also, here is a pic from my 30th birthday party my wife had for me last weekend...this is a pic of matthew (my 10 week old son) and I. friends and family are in the background.

b\'s cake b day.jpg
  2. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Well ain't ya a young whimper snapper?? :D
  3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Congraulations on the new baby! May he grow up big and strong to take over your business.
    As for the CLIA, I've taken the exam and have the certification. It's a pretty interesting class, and if nothing else will cause you to stare in wonder at all the wasted water from 98% of the irrigations systems out there. I lived in SA for 7 years, water conservation capital of the south, and it was amazing how much irrigation was done in-efficiently. I would think with a good marketing scheme, a decent living could be made off auditing irrigation systems, showing the customer how much money could be saved, and how much better for the turf it could be. It will also be a big help in designing irrigiation systems for install. The exam is relatively easy, if taken after the class. The class was pretty enjoyable too, with classroom and field work. I think you'd find it well worthwhile.

4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the info...plan on going to the ia.org right now....

5. Superior Lawns

Superior Lawns LawnSite Member

Hello. I am fairly new to the irrigation business, and I was curious...what exactly is an irrigation auditor? where is this class offered? and where do you learn to do irrigation system? I am only 21 and in college at university of oklahoma, but I would like to get more into it. I have done 4 systems, and they all work well, and Im getting better as I go, i just dont know if there is a better way to do it. Thank you all for all the help.
  6. Randy J

Hey Josh, Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditor is 2 things: a class and a designation. The class teaches you how to audit irrigation systems to make them as efficient as possible. It takes into account soil type, system efficiencies (sorry but I forget the exact term I'm looking for, but basically looks at the spray pattern of the system to see if 1 area gets more water than another), and irrigation requirements of the turf or plants. Based on all these factors, it allows you to set the system up to water most efficiently. For instance, when doing the class in San Antonio, we learned that we needed to run the system for 10 minutes at a time, for about 10 cycles, once a week. Any longer than 10 minutes would create water runoff, or waste. We even learned how long between cycles was optimum. It's a very interesting program, and one I'd highly recommend. You can get more information on it Here .
    The designation just gives you more credentials.

7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I submit, if you,as a licensed irrigator, knew what you were doing, this additional statute would not be necessary.

Randy J, one question: when was the last time you designed an irrigation system for a golf course - name mandatory?
    My point is this, you have one year in this business - I have fifteen +.
    I have designed, installed and specified irrigation systems from effluent (waste) water, fresh water through brakish water (read salt water). I have built and mantained golf course all over the world - quite literally.
    I have post graduate education in turf management and fluid dynamics. How can a one or two day course give you the alleged credentials to merit attendance?
  8. Randy J

SWD, I'm not really sure what or why you seem to have taken offense to the post. You may design and install terrific, efficient systems, or you may not. I don't know and to be quite honest, I don't care. A question was asked by someone interested in taking the class, and I answered with a recommendation. If you don't feel a need for it don't take it. But obviously someone does as it is a very popular class/designation. As water resources become more and more scarce, it's going to have even more and more value. It is a very helpful class, and could probably benefit even someone with the credentials you claim. And designations are always a helpful marketing tool. As for your experience, one thing I've learned is just because someone's been doing something for 15 years, that doesn't necessarily mean they've been doing it right. I see far more systems operation ineffieciently than efficiently. I hope yours are the latter.

9. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

thought I'd bring this old post up.....

Anyone here a certified irrigation auditor?
  10. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

No, but I'm glad you brought this post up. I am going to get CLIA certified in early April in Baltimore.