certified mail

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobbygedd, Jan 26, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what exactly does the certified mail prove? it does NOT prove, the contents of the envelope. all it DOES prove, is that the mail man most certainly did in fact, deliver an envelope to the recipient. what's to stop the recipient from saying, " sure, he sent me a certified envelope, but, there was nothing inside it. i've never seen that notice /bill, whatever, in my life." what does sending a letter certified, actually prove?

2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

It proves you spent $3 to send a letter that proves nothing except the fact you could have saved yourself $2.61

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Proves nothing, and I rarely do it. When I do, I make a copy of the envelope, recipt and all together and keep it just in case. I have never had to defend myself in that way.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

my lawyer always says, "send it certified." my accountant always says the same. i always do, send serious issues by certified mail. but, i'm thinking, does it actually prove, you sent anything, but the envelope? i think not

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If it's sent that way and you take them to court for any reason you will see the difference. :gunsfirin

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

sure, cus i havn't had anyone yet say, "your honor, i never recieved a bill, or notice . i did however, recieve this empty envelope, on jan 25th."

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

of course not.

"certified" means "certified delivery", not "certified contents".

most of the world knows only a dumass would pay to certify the delivery of an empty envelope.

GEO :dizzy:

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

2 people, 1 in a truck/car with a camera videoing the other with a microphone hand deleivers envelope works the best. Usually a copy sent to the offender saves the trouble of setting a court date. And it works if there not home just as well payup

9. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

wonder if they mean notarized and wonder if you can have an envelope notarized saying you sealed it front of a notary and then send it certified mail?

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I learned something over time... This doesn't happen a lot, but the recipient is not required to sign or accept a certified letter, and by simply pretending they're not home or just flat out telling the mailman 'no thank you' they avoid the entire hassle associated with these letters... So they never received it, and not only are my hands tied for 15 days as I have to wait the customary waiting period before I can take further action, but my whole plan just got blown to smithereens... They never got the letter!

The last time this happened, I realized how bad I felt as I brooded for over a week wondering if they honestly forgot or maybe they 'were not home' intentionally, not to mention I still had not gotten paid.

Nowadays I take the letter, stick it in a plain, unmarked manila envelope, and tape it to their front door (one piece of tape, please). It never fails, they always read it, and I love it. This works because I get a phonecall as it makes them really angry (further proof they were attempting to evade me? Who knows, but)... In most cases the situation is bad to begin with, I already have certain assurances I am not getting paid... Sure enough, leave the letter on the door and I get an angry phone call but guess what: Bingo, you just proved to me you got the letter AND you know the contents !!!