Certified not Certified that's the question...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by h2oman, Apr 30, 2007.

1. h2oman

h2oman LawnSite Member

I have a chance to take the CIC Exam in our area in two months. Does it make a difference to your customers? I have been to Toro Classes, Hunter Seminars, and Rain Bird Classes as well. Been doing irrigation for 7+ years and doesn't seem to me to make a difference to the customer as long as you know what your doing. Out of all my customers I've only had one ask if I were certified by an organization. We do have rubber stamp clubs here you can belong to but imo a waste of money.
    If I am wrong don't blast me too much, :hammerhead: Just try to help me see the benefit of spend my hard earned mula, to hold the cert.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The way you're doing it is the same as I did it....if you think you could learn
    something from the "I.A. way", go for it.....if pumps come up or large scale
    stuff like Purps does, o.k., after seven years, if you've got half a brain, I
    would not bother...imho I.A. has been pretty inefective....cool candy store in
    San Diego this year, tho! The bottom line is keep keeping up.

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I just took my test last week. My reason for taking it was for commercial work. Does it matter for residential? I would say absolutely not for those just interested in lowest price. But it might make a difference in a high-end bid.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It might..but if I was in biz as long as he's been & serviced his clients right,
    that's about the best reference one could hope for. I sold a ton of systems
    with the line " if you're going to shop contractors, ask for references at least
    three years old". That'll weed out the week ones!

5. Flow Control

6. h2oman

h2oman LawnSite Member

Service is included for all contracts ( 1 year, start up and winter shut down) if they want to continue with me which 90% does, then I have an extended service contract. Also on all bids and estimates I include clients from 6 years 4 years 2 years etc. as refs.

7. h2oman

h2oman LawnSite Member

I also try to keep refs. within 5 miles of the prospective client, so they can drive by and check out the lawns. Try to keep ref. page to 2 pages, also

8. Flow Control

I agree you are going about it the right way.

But have you ever sat back and thought about it. You are sending people by other yards and basically what they are looking at is how the property gets, fert, watered and cut. Of which the property owner dictates how much fert, how much water, how the cutting and edging looks. Unless you have them drive by while the systems are running?? And have you ever heard of someone giving contact info to someone that is not going to give you a good reference?? Now I am not sure how many estimates you do, but you might think about instead of having just references for the area, you have a system that you can take the client over to and display the different stations.

just my pondering .02

9. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

My attitude is to take courses that are teaching something you want to learn. Otherwise I'd not worry about it. In my 27 years here in Big D I've never gotten a job based on a course I took. I'm pretty much a word of mouth business.

10. h2oman

h2oman LawnSite Member

I thought about that when I wanted to go to the next level in my business. I started out in Subd. 100k - 250K. Some with HOA'S some without. that was four years ago. Now I'm in Subdivions that range from 350k - 750K. all with HOA's. You know the ones that say you can't pee in your back yard, grow grass taller than 3.5" and have to drink the KoolAid before moving in. No I DONOT WORK WITH BUILDERS (Rip off's)!! By the way I am pretty much (WOM) Word of Mouth now also. Thanks for the advice. I'll just keep attending seminars and reading the books by the IA.