1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Certified Professionals?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andover Landscape Co., Sep 25, 2010.

1. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

How many members on this site are Certified Lawn Care Professionals, or Turfgrass Managers or Technicians or whatever....

I was just curious if a certification program is worth it...
  2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I went to a tech college to get a "Green Industry Technician" certificate. I think it was definitely worth it. I learned a lot of good stuff, and made some really good connections with instructors and such. Well worth it in my opinion.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I am ACLP certified, Arizona Certified landscape Professional and I promise a person with a horticulture degree could not pass the test. I have also taught and proctored one portion of the test for about 14 years. My guys are in the program and I hope to have one more certified in a month when the next test is complete.

Sadly clients don't seem to give a ratz azz to quote Jake Plummer. It does give credibility within the industry and as previously mentioned it is a great networking source.
  4. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

I think as a society we are kinda certified out. Also who knows who is doing the certification. My girlfriend is a certified mechanic(even has a certificate hanging on the shop wall next to mine) but I would not even let her change the oil in a mower as she did not know what a spark plug was till she took the exam and started doing the books for my business(we are getting married soon).
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I'm a certified and licenesed EMT, certified CPR instructor, certified fire fighter and also have some certification in NIMS.

Well, I have a ton of certification, just not green industry related.
  6. kubotafan

kubotafan LawnSite Member

If the grass gets cut you are certainly qualified to tend to it.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i am a certified arborist, and certified pesticide applicator. bout it here, but have degrees and a yearn to learn
  8. Andover Landscape Co.

Andover Landscape Co. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Lexington,KY

I hope to be certified by the end of the year...

I have learned quit a bit so far. The biggest thing I've learned is how much I didn't know to begin with....

I just want the sticker on my truck....:rolleyes:
  9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I have my Class 24 Pesticide Applicator's License, Firefighter I & II, and HAZ-MAT I & II. Hope to get my GCLP sometime in the future, but the small amount of free time I have would be better suited getting a degree online in either horticulture, botany, or the one I really want: to be a certified landscape architect. All certifications will add to your value and repertoire. Good rapport with clients equals more business/customer loyalty.
  10. LexingtonKYcutter

LexingtonKYcutter LawnSite Member

All of my crew leaders have gone through the CLT testing that is put on by PLANET. We have certified guys for all of our spraying and one crew leader has a forestry degree.

Never hurts to put those facts of all the extra education your employees have in front of potential clients.