Certified Turfgrass Professional

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Feb 12, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Anyone a Certified Turfgrass Professional? If so, when and where did you obtain your certification? And now that you're certified how has it helped your business?

2. ztrguy

from NE FL

Anyone tried out the online programs?

3. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

I havn't tried it bit I know UGA has one really good program. We go to their seminars thye really know grass,

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a few letters behind my name.

Yes, the courses are great. The CTP is actually put on through UGA as i understand it. It can never hurt to have knowledge and training. If you want more info, email me

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I got my certification through UGA in '96. For the modest monetary and time investment it's fine. It's hard to quantify, but it probably impresses some customers that you actually know what you're talking about. It just shows you have at least a basic understanding of how grass grows and is cared for.

Unfortunately, based on some of the posts I've read from overly ambtious newcomers to the business, some people are in the business without even this basic knowledge. (Questions like "I am bidding on a 500 unit apartment complex....what is pre-emergent?" and "how do you change blades on a lawn mower? " are a clue they might could benefit from such a course, as well as a little seasoning working for someone else)

6. ztrguy

from NE FL

Thanks everyone! UGA is the place I'm talking about. Doesn't cost all that much for the information you receive. It says they have 14 topics, I just do not know how intense each section will be. Any additional info would be great. Thanks!

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

There'll be a section on soils, one on plant identification, another on fertilization, one on weed control, one on cultural practices(mowing, aerating, etc), one on seeding, stuff like that. There are a few big words but none of it is that taxing. I am a slack student, didn't study, just read the chapters, and finished with a 90 average I think. I still use the book that came with the course as a reference, especially in identifying weeds.