1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Certified Turfgrass Professional

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass-scapes, Feb 9, 2005.

1. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got my study manual for becoming a certified turfgrass professional from the NC Turfgrass Association. Im hoping I will learn much plus be able to use the certification to grow my business even more. Anyone else on here considering Certification either through ALCA/Plcaa, or their state association? Anyone else certified? Did it help or no difference. There is a LOT of information I have to digest in the next 6 months before I take the certification test. I hear its pretty difficult and very few pass on the first try.
  2. Turf Tamers

Turf Tamers LawnSite Member

3. grass-scapes

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Grass: Just playing devils advocate here, so this is NOT directed at you, only the "program" :waving:

As this "Certification" is only offered through this Assoc and you must not only be a dues paying member of the Assoc but have been for at least a year prior before you can even apply to take "their test" meaning that you would have now paid 2 years dues and as it is a "home study course" with no classroom or instructors and the "certification test" is an OPEN BOOK Exam and is not issued by the State of NC does it "really" say anything?

Again, this "course" is not a "NC" Certification, but rather an Assoc "certification".
  5. grass-scapes

While you are right, it is an association certification, it is also the same material given with the plcaa/alca. It is very valuable information, and I also was a bit shocked at the requirements. Since I have been a member of TGCNC for years, the only additional cost is the material cost. What got me worse was I have to pay yearly to "keep" the certification. I mean, are they gonna take away my knowledge once I learn it? I hear through the grape vine that the cost will change for the better in the near future.

Who knows.... It all goes back to what are you willing to pay for things. It may look good on my "resume" but it may not help a hill of beans.

I guess I will see.
  6. grass-scapes

Oh, and they do offer the one week short course. It uses the EXACT book, its taught at NCSU, and it gives you the same certification but with the same requirements. I didn't see anywhere about an Open book test. If thats the case, I could take my test tomorrow. LOL The program was developed in part with the NC State University. They also offer different classes throughout the year if you don't want the self study option. Its not listed on the website, but I know its offered.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with you Grass that it would look good on your resume and that the info for the study guide really seems to be good information. I'm not a big fan of Assoc "certifications" though for the very reason you said....for them it really is more about money for the Assoc.
  8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

More education can't hurt you so if you go in with that attitude towards it and comme out learning something new then I'd say you got your moneys worth. I went to a few ALCA classes but focused on the ones at U of A more as I thought that they would carry more weight and if I changed my mind about wanting a degree in horticulture or turf ( which is exactly what happened) then I could still be racking up college credits. I don't regret having taken the classes one bit, I just wanted to do something else. jmy.02
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Glad I graduated Summa Cum Laude from the School Of Hard Knocks Mike...you bring up a great point IMO