# CFM thru 3/8" hose.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I have been searching but can't find the answer to this.

I am looking at a bigger compressor for the upcoming blowout season. My present compressor puts out 17 CFM and I have been using 3/8 " hose. I have the larger fittings for this hose to avoid restriction. Hose has worked well for me...This is the biggest hose I want to drag around. (Lets' not go into that here.):)

I found one site that stated 20 cfm is no problem for 3/8" hose. The compressor I am looking at is at 30 CFM. But I don't want to invest in a bigger compressor if it means I need to start using bigger hose.

Thanks for the opines.

John

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Are you blowing out one head at a time?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

That's an awfully small hose. Majority of us here use a 185cfm compressor and 1" hose. Gives you the ability to blow out many zones at once and speeds up your time. Why not invest in or rent a compressor that can allow you to blow out an entire system (5-6 zones) in 5 mins or less?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Way too small a hose for big work. Even if you don't go for bigass jackhammer hose, you need more hose to make effective use of more air, especially in cold conditions.

A cheapskate compromise that could work, would be 3/4 or 5/8 garden hose, if you get the "forever" kind, that's made from polybutylene. (that stuff will last for decades)

5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I do all my blowouts myself. Maybe blow out 200-300 per year. I like the compressor in the pickup. Majority of blowout connections are boiler drains which don't have a large opening anyway so methinks a large hose is not necessary as far as restriction.

I know that the big tow behinds are quicker but I do not want to lug any 1" hose around or reel it up. I have an air powered reel that reels up 200' of 3/8" hose in no time at all. And I am not totally wore out after a day of blowouts.

My two cents worth. I can pop two zones at a time now but the compressor will not keep up to efficiently blow both out. Hence, my desire to try a somewhat larger compressor. And the original question as to CFM capacity of various hose sizes.

Thanks for the input.

John

6. Wet_Boots

If you still want to stay with the idea of a truckmount, but get more air, you could look into assembling your own rig from a compressor pump you find on the local market. For winterizings alone, you can use a single-stage reciprocating pump, with head unloaders, that allow it to run continuously from a gasoline engine. You can easily go into 30+ cfm, and work with that garden hose.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

:)
    Sweet. Is it time to talk winterizing?????

8. Wet_Boots

I'm strictly thinking of blowing skirts around, being that it's still summer.

[​IMG]

9. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

10. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I am just beginning to thaw. Can't we put this off until the "blow out" thread of 2010? Maybe I will start it this year purely out of cynicism.