# CFM thru 3/8" hose.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Winterizing is cake work even with a real compressor and hosing.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you look at the chart that Jeffy linked, you can see that a 3/4-inch hose can easily deal with a 30+ cfm flow on a 200-foot run.

If you do consider a home-brew solution, you don't absolutely need a big pressure tank, if the pump is large enough.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

rip the chasis off a 100cfm , truck mount it and use garden hose.

4. Wet_Boots

Too much weight. I think you could do a decent 30+ cfm single-stage weighing under 500 lbs.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ive done it with 185,s before. Still have a home made mounting kit in my shop for a late 90,s ford.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I could easily see my 100 cfm in the back of a truck. But, then I have ANOTHER vehicle that sits for 9-10 months of the year, and licensed, taxed and insured. I don't want to make it work for the Ford 1/2 ton we have, it's not going in our van or Ranger, and I'm not ruining my Titan with it.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I used to breakdown 2 and load em every yr.Havnt done it since I sold the 97 250 thou.

8. Wet_Boots

For one guy doing a few hundred home systems, a rig could fit in a Ranger, depending on what components, since pumps vary greatly in weight. Guys on eBay are selling Chinese-built pumps that can push 30+ cfm, complete with head unloaders. A Quincy or a Curtis pump could weigh twice as much.

9. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at an Eaton compressor at the 30 CFM range. 12 HP Honda, elec. start, charging circuit. $2200 at my door. 2 stage unit but is complete and I don't have to spend the time putting something together.

Opines are always appreciated.

John

10. Wet_Boots

Eaton sells Chinese-made compressor pumps. (might be their own factory, but even then.......) ~ A 12 HP engine only gets you about 25 cfm

The horsepower limitations are why you can only go so high with a truckmount setup, aside from weight. Small engines get more complicated as you go beyond 16 HP

If you did get ambitious and look at rolling your own, a Grainger catalog will help you complete the dots (or even supply you a complete unit)