1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

CFO OK'd Purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dbear, May 15, 2007.

1. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Tried this on the homeowners page, but got no responses.

As the title implies, I got the okay from the CFO to buy a new mower, and even more surprisingly, pretty much any mower I want.

Current mower is down waiting on a back-ordered part (something increasingly more likely to happen since it's a 15-20 year old 3-wheeler). Problem is the grass just won't stop growing. I presently maintain about 3 acres between two properties, mine and my MIL.

Right now, the clear front runner for features, specs, dealer support, availability, price, trade-in value, and financing is a brand new DC LT2700-60. First question: Any reason not to buy this model?

Also, I'm seriously considering a Vortex collection system to assist in spring/fall clean-ups (lots of adult trees). Two more questions: Does the dump-from-seat hopper style fit the LT? Anyone have one to comment on performance?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

What is CFO?
  3. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

Probably his ole lady.
  4. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Chief Financial Officer. Yeh, it's probably his wife.
  5. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner! Yep, CFO would be the wife.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can't tell you much on the model because I don't know, but I can tell you a trick or two on tall grass, like when it gets away from us :cry:

First off, nothing like a double cut to fix clippings and light clumping, that's when it's not too bad, just run over the whole thing twice, might help if you criss-cross the pattern (or alternate is what I mean).

Beyond that, raise the cut height 1/2" or so, cut it and then lower the height 1/2" and cut it again, at no time ever should it be cut below 3" thou. So, 3.5 and cut, then 3 and cut. If it's bad, I've been known to do a really tall thick lawn starting at 5-6" and coming down in 1/2" increments, but that was with a Z and a dial-in height setter (literally thumb controlled), ran over it must've been 6-7 times and it looked awesome, more so considering how bad it was before... For most machines, probably 4" is as high as I'd go for a help in ways of not killing yourself, you can also probably re-cut it at 1/4" lower a few days later (like 5-7) this time of year.

Read: I HATE bagging, I categorically refuse to do it.
    But if it's really bad, with a side discharge I like to windrow the clippings (actually I prefer piles, same method thou other than for piles I ride in circular patterns), then a rake and a tarp hauls them away (I find this faster than bagging, as much work but way cooler but that's just me).

Just some tricks from my book of hard knock lessons learned :laugh:
  7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

No point in getting all biblical with the guy.....

he's just looking for a lawn mower

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the dixie chopper is a good rig, I am not familiar with the bagger system you describe, but the peco system available for that rig is great. aluminum hopper, separate engine, It will suck any leaves you need to. if you have a good dealer, I'd go for it.

please, remember, if you're using this for your home, most commercial mowers in this price range will probably last you the rest of your life with good maintenance -the dixie is not the most comfortable out there. even with a suspension seat, you will be riding rough for awhile. test ride as many as you can at top speed on grass. if you can, ride a hustler super z with the suspension seat to give you a referance. I measure all mowers against it, and it is a design that is 4-6 years old now. good luck.
  9. jtrover

jtrover LawnSite Member

I can't speak for the homeowner application, but over the last five years we have owned 5 Dixie Choppers, and when they would get around 800-1000 hours they would start chucking belts like it was their job.I talked to another commercial guy who had owned between 10-15 mowers, and he had the same problems as I did. Every Generac engine we had never quit burning oil, and Chopper will not stand behind the engine if it blows.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've had a couple of Choppers now and I have found them to be outstanding mowers. The deck does have a little trouble getting through crabgrass but it handles every other kind of grass I've cut through (and it's been a lot) very well. Tough, reliable and well built.