CGM didn't work

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by thinksnow, May 9, 2008.

1. thinksnow

thinksnow LawnSite Member

I treated my front lawn with CGM back in the end of March. My front yard is now once again a dandelion farm. My neighbor ask me if the CGM came with a free dandelion harvester attachment for the mower, HA-HA. WTF, I thought I had it down early enough. I think the only thing I accomplished was to feed the dandelions some nitrogen.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Considering dandelions are a winter annual, they probably germinated before your application. If you don't plan on seeding, try a fall application as well. It can take 3 years to build up the natural enzyme in the soil for CGM to be 80% effective.

Too many people want instant results. It's going to take a little time to build things organically.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

aren't the dandy's a seed grow-en plant, no seed no new ones. how hard is it to pull a weed ??? same effort as driving to a home store for some poison. try the weed hound or garden weasel weed torch.

4. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Yeah. You've misunderstood what CGM does. It wont kill the same dandies you had last year. They're perennials. It'll reduce the germination rate of the seeds but wont kill the parent plants. At some point you'll have to pull them or give em a dose of calcium.

5. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

organic a go go, can you or anyone give me a source for info about calcium for dandelions?

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

What is the dose of calcium for? To kill the adult dandelion plant?

I have heard it mentioned a couple of times here and if it works we need to know what kind of calcium and when to apply.
    Otherwise organic lawncare is a ridiculous joke - like it was in the 70s and 80s when I was believing the old wives' tales. I was turned off organics completely for about 10 years in the business. I continued research in my gardens and learned to trust my eyes rather than the experts.

7. Smallaxe

Question about cgm and its buildup in the soil over time.

Can you overseed successfully once you've achieved your 80% suppression rate?

8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

One customer in particular has been putting down CGM for 6 years now. I have slice seeded on various parts of the property as they like to add on patios, pools and other various things that require tearing up of turf areas. I only apply once in the spring, and have seeded successfully in the fall.

9. Smallaxe

Thanks Natty. I have been wondering about that. :)

Would spring seeding of cool weather grasses fit in b4 cgm app. for the warm weather weeds? i.e. crabgrass?
    Or does the application require more time to do its thing each spring?

10. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I went and got me one of those weed hounds, a tool that you stick in the ground at the weed, pull back and it takes upt the root and everything. It works great for weeds such as dandelion and smaller crabgrass. I have found that well established crabrass and weeds with a wide base takes a little more work. It leaves an upside down icecream cone type hole that seems to typically fill itself in within a day or two. Nothing that customers will have a fit over unless it is one of those putting green type places, then I will just try to hand pull as much as I can. Its realatively inexpensive, about $20, and everyone has some version of it. I got mine from lowes, don't remember what they called it but it's all the same.