CGM pro & con's

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by growingdeeprootsorganicly, Dec 24, 2008.

1. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

cont. from the top dressing tread.....

CGM work from the protein fraction in it that has 5 known dipeptides in it that inhibit root growth?

it kills the "weed seedling" by allowing normal shoot development with servery inhibited root growth , this lead to seedling death upon moister stress.

if you do not time app correctly or there is alot of rain, irrigation ,water in the soil (april & may:confused:)and it never dry's out completely to kill the weed seedling you can expect reduced performance from CGM

2. growingdeeprootsorganicly

bill product, he can correct me if im wrong? is a hydrolysated water soluble form of CGM
    a water soluble form will wash quickly from the soil,so to use this "type" of CGM you really need to time it correctly, and if you don't get some drying out of the surface once the weed is germinated, i would expect that 93% control is a wet dream

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Personally I believe most claims associated with organic products/practices are just as you stated... but the emotion involved with 'safe' and 'saving the planet' often cloud a persons reasoning abilities...

Does this discredit Bill's product? No more than it could discredit regular CT applications...

I am personally interested in trying a soluble CGM product, and it will prolly be Bills...

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are there any others on the market?

I like the idea of being able to spray this along edges and curbstrips to get maximum protection. I highly doubt you will get good coverage out of a PG even with 2 passes. Some products you have to drag hose with.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  5. growingdeeprootsorganicly

there is no build up time for GCM to work better, if there is, its like shooting your self in the foot when it comes to reseeding but again thats not how it works.

with out a doubt the research being done is pretty cool we it comes to organic derived weed controls, soon hopefully there will be a true any weather/situation product
    that does not need EXPERT timing/ observation, perfect environmental conditions and does not cost an arm and a leg to apply and gets great results?
    regular CGM has 10% N aswell as other good foods for microorganisms,regular form has a more forgiving app window too,notaswater soluble, thats good and bad but given environmental variables it might be best

regular CGM would be best to me given vendor pricing of the two types,, the study/reports i read say you need at lest 500 to 100 grams per meter for best results, 10-20 lbs per 1000sf, also too you can get better results at lower rates if app timing and weather are favorable? plus fertilizing at the same time

maybe TREEGAL, will chim in about use of CGM, i think she said the use is too expensive compared to other approaches?

6. growingdeeprootsorganicly

7. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I have not seen any others out there yet. (is yours even being sold yet Bill?) But I bet there are plenty on the way. The studies were done in the early 90's...

http://www.springerlink.com/content/780nv09jw3h51177/

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

WELL time will tell we will all have to try something and go on

9. growingdeeprootsorganicly

before anybody says i said it doesn't work understand this,

for it to work the weed seedling/soil NEEDS TOO DRY OUT to kill the weed.
    if that doesn't happen you will not stop the weeds.

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Give me a source for the dipeptides and I'll check it out.

$40 per 4k will be close to the granular app rate. I do use a PG, and my pants do get a little dusty, but I've used much dustier granular products.