Chafers everywhere (May 25th) whats the latest day I can put down Merit.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, May 26, 2008.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Last year was a very bad year in our area for grubs, so I am expecting (and starting to see) many, many Chafers flying around now. These Chafers will eventually mate and lay eggs. When would you apply granular Merit (with fertilizer combo)? I'm planning to apply June 9th - June 20th. Since I'm starting to see Chafers now, is June 20th too late? I've heard up to July 4th is fine, but I'm concerned since I'm seeing Chafers now.

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You've got the right idea Mike. You'll be fine if you stick to your schedule.

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Get the Merit down when the suckers are flying. They will lay, and the eggs will take 2 weeks to hatch. Get them in that first instar, right after they hatch. My rule of thumb is when they fly, apply. Applying now will get the insecticide watered into the turf when the bassads will feed. If you have very sandy soil, that leaches and drains fast.... wait maybe a week, but no more.

I agree with Marcos, sounds like you have a good schedule.

4. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

The target time for Merit applications in my area of Massachusetts is from June 1st through August 15th. Anytime during those dates is fine. According to some research that I dug up from Bayer, Merit provides up to 11 months of control. This was during testing but I don't think that's realistic. I've read other places that it's up to 4 months of control. Regardless, I think you'll be o.k. on your targeted date.

I usually apply mine around July 8th. Of course, you're halfway across the country from me so your application timing may be different.

5. Victor

Wait a second now Whitey. Are you calling me a troglodyte? :laugh:

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Wha.... is hermaphrodite better?

7. Victor

:laugh: Good one

8. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. The lawns that had grub breakthough with last year (used Mach II-never again) will be treated first, then the rest in early June.