Chain grade for pulling stumps?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by iforgotmybackpack, Jan 31, 2013.

1. iforgotmybackpack

iforgotmybackpack LawnSite Member

What grade chain are you all using for any pulling use for your business? Mainly, if you have access to have a truck pull out a stump or shrub? I've been using 3/8 @ grade 43. I want to by a longer section but didn't know if I should step it up to a higher grade or am I safe with the lower? Thanks for the help
  2. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

I use half inch I think 45ish grade. I've jerked it pretty good pulling stumps and its been fine. I always throw another chain over it in case it break though.
  3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

The bigger the stump the stronger chain needed for average shrubs that size is fine:waving:
  4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I use a logging chain. I used it to pull a skidsteer out the mud and never had an issue.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Well since chain doesnt "absorb" energy the heaver the better, if a chain breaks the energy is relaease into whatevers pulling it so generally a light chain is not dangerous. Rope and cable are different stories, when they break no telling what they will hit and how hard. Braided steel cables ar good for "chockers" meaning they will hold on too what you put them around, just be sure it isnt very long.
  6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I use a heavy tow strap for most pulling jobs, its easier on equipment.
  7. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

When we have access, we use a 7,000lb winch mounted on f-250 to do the job. I pulled up a 20' tall tree and a 15' tall Buford holly last week without any problems. I have about 100' of reach is the only problem. Sometimes I'll call in a friend with his mini excavator or use tow rope tied to our largest mower. Sometimes I can make double money to dig it up and move it to another customers house.