chain link fence removal + aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by americanlawn, Jul 21, 2013.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Wondering if you do this???

Our John Deere w/pull-behind 48" Ryans = 50" width.

Stand on TORO/Exmark aerator = 47 3/4 ".

Do you guys ever disassemble a chain link fence in order to aerate a back yard?

If so, what tools are needed? Open end wrenches, socket wrenches, fence stretcher?

Any problems doing this? Complaints from customers?

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a lawn that every week we disconnected the fence to bring in a 60 inch mower.
    A half inch wrench and 2 quick grip bar clamps to stretch it back to re attach the bar for the fence.

3. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks jc1. Can't believe nobody else has replied. Here in Des Moines, many customers have back yards with small gates. I hate fences in the first place, but having a narrow gate makes little sense to me.

I figure most of these "small gate" people simply don't care much. Problem is >> we measure gate widths and charge as much as double the price for core aeration. Added to this >> their back yard lawn will usually NOT get the deep plugs that most folks want. (walk-behind vs stand-on with down pressure)

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I once stretched a fence with several bungi cords. If each one pulls 10 pounds, and you put ten on the fence...that is a lot of pulling force.

5. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks buddy -- been on ebay. Got some fence stretchers on my watch list. Probably gunna buy 2. Cost is about $35 each. They should last for many years.