Chain Safety

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Nov 23, 2002.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A fellow that works at my daytime job went hunting a couple of weeks ago. His 4x4 got stuck in the mud. Someone else came to his rescue with another 4x4 and a chain. While trying to pull the stuck vehicle out,the chain broke and went though the windshield, hitting the driver in the eye area. I don't know the full extent of his injuries, but I heard that the chain actually passed through his eye. This poor fellow had lost a leg prior to this accident. I think iI'll stick to a tow strap for now on.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

One thing to remember when pulling on anything, whether it be a chain, rope, or strap, is to try to avoid putting a shock load on it. In other words, it's less likely to break and fly if a steady load is put on it rather than jerking on it. In theory, a chain put under a steady load shouldn't fly if it breaks, because it's elasticity is next to zero. If you're talking about a nylon tow strap, they're more likely to fly when they break due to the elasticity, but of course, not as likely to cause catastrophic damage.

3. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

Bob,
    A strap is no sure bet either. I was pulling a bush out of the ground using an old strap with hooks on both ends and I yanked too hard, too fast (just like Darryl said not to do) and the metal hook which was sewn onto the strap came out. Like the "magic bullet" that killed JFK, the hook put a huge dent in my tail gate (looks like it was hit by a small meteor) and then flew up and busted out the window right behind my head and hit the back of my seat (I think it was the headrest portion - I just can't swear to it). You know after seeing the damage I couldn't get mad, cause I was so thankful to still be alive.

I knew better than to jerk the strap and my equipment was old (which helped it to rip loose).

I still have the dent in my tailgate. I am not getting it fixed either. It helps remind me to thankful and not be so stupid.

Please learn from my mistake.
    Darb

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

It also helps to have a wet towel in the middle of the strap to minimize kick back if it were to snap.

5. Mykster

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

exactly correct except I don't know about a towel.

a blanket or heavy jacket would be better.

GEO

7. Mykster

A big bath towel soaking wet is pretty heavy. Forgot all about the coat or a blanket.

8. Greenie

Greenie LawnSite Member

I was using a sickle bar mower that used a short stretch of chain to keep the tip parallel to the ground when the chain broke - a link flew up in the air quite high and landed in the loader bucket.

9. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Years ago, my best friend and I used to go 4 wheelin in his CJ7. If we had to winch ourselves or anyone else out, we ALWAYS ALWAYS put the hood up on the CJ. As you may or may not know, the Jeep's hood will lean back against the windshield and it's a whole lot easier to work a dent out of the underneath side of the hood than it is to replace broken glass or heal from a blunt force head wound.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

good point bob. for anything like that i only us loggin chain. never broke one of those.