1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

chain saw bars

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 28, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

when cutting firewood or felling a tree, what size bar and chain for your chainsaw do you prefer?
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Thats kindof newbie question. I would think you would us a bar big enough to cut trough the diameter of the wood being cut. But not use one too big. 2-16" diameter use 18" bar but not a 36" bar
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I always use at least a 18" bar. One reason is because I don't like to be bending over all day using a short bar.
  4. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the size of the wood you're cutting. Obviously you don't want a 3' bar for 10" wood. You also don't want a 16" bar for 3' diameter logs.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You also have to know that your saw has enough ample power to pull a chain of that length. I've seen people underpower a saw plenty of times. Remember,... gear toward the hardwood.
  6. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Like everybody says, the right size for the job, but if I only was going to have 1 saw I would want an 18" - big enough to get through just about anything but not extremely overkill either for smaller stuff. Right now I've got a 20" Stihl and a 14" Echo so I can pretty much choose the right saw for the job. Before these I only had an underpowered 18" Poulan but made due with it.
  7. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I typically do all my tree work with a 16" bar and rarely do I find myself in need of a larger bar, but with that being said I also don't do alot of tree work through out the year.
  8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

More than one.

Almost everybody I know that does that professionally, has more than one saw.

It's not a question of what size, but how many sizes. Now if it's just firewood, many folks I know use 20" and a light, strong saw. Firewood cutting usually means holding a saw for much more time than cutting trees.

Even the country clubs I worked at years ago, had 3 or 4 chainsaws to match the right saw to certain trunk sizes.

My saws range from small Echo, to medium Stihl, maxing with a Husky 385XP - bars all the way to 30".
  9. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

14' Echo: climbing/bucket saw
    24" Husky 372: Just about anything
    36" Husky 395: Big stuff
    54" bar for the 395. Yes it does get used. A couple of times I've had to cut from both sides with it.
  10. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to see that tree!