chain saw help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bobcatnj, Nov 10, 2005.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i have a husqvarna rancher 55 chainsaw. its not cutting at all. instead of cutting, it is burning the tree.i got the chain sharpened and tried it, but still same thing. yes, the chain is on the correct way.i bought a new chain 2 day, maybe the old chain was shot. what else can it be?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Might be your drag links on your old chain.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Every once in a while you have to take a little off the rakes or depth guides as they're also called.
  4. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

check to make sure its not too tight and check the oiler my be blocked
  5. Jim Buessing

Jim Buessing LawnSite Member

I would first look at the quality of the sharpening. If the deptgh gauges are not proper you will be taking less of a bite. Also you need to look at the bar. If you use the spikes and lean on it a little bit you may find a little flare on the bar guides. This causes the bar to be wider than the tooth and thus no cutting. If you continue to have difficulty take the unit to your local outdoor power equiment dealer and let them inspect the bar and chain.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would say the rakers needed to be filed down, how old is the chain????
  7. Jim Buessing

Jim Buessing LawnSite Member

It is very difficult to give an exact cause without visually looking at the bar and chain. All we can do is guess. Your best bet is to take it to an outdoor power equipment service center. They can identify your problem and it wont cost you a dime. Better to have the right answer the first time than the wrong answer multiple times due to lack of information.