Chain Saw Sharpeners

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by Guest, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

2. Guest

Guest Guest

A file is about: $1
    File handle about: $1-$2
    Practice is free
    Once you are good at it: Priceless

The best way to sharpen a saw for the money. You dont have to take the chain off and it is quick. Also unless you carry your grinder out in the field with you what are you gonna do when your saw gets dull. A file is small, compact and most important, PORTABLE.
    You all can burn me at the stake now. I guess Im just old fashioned

3. Guest

Guest Guest

A rookie will be a rookie forever unless they practice. If you were not allowed to climb once in a while you would have never got good a climbing. Same thing with filing a saw by hand. Learn the right way to do so, practice, practice, practice and then maybe you dont have to carry all that extra chain around with you.
    Ive used the silvey grinders and dont like them UNLESS the chain is completely wrecked (which is not very often). They take tooooooo long, they do heat and harden the chain (maybe not as much as other grinders), and Im never happy with the outcome (not very sharp).
    Next time you get a chance take a saw take the chain off sharpen it and put it back on. How long does it take you to do this?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

You are right, there is a good reason why chainsaw shops use grinders. Because they are chainsaw SHOPS. Not guys that go out and run saws all day. They work on the saws. They know the motor and mechanics of the saw not the sharpening. Also most people that bring chains in to be sharpened are "home owners" and the chain is beyond filing. An old boss of mine ran a saw shop. His guys couldnt file a saw to save their life. Grinders are idiot proof. You are right they are consistant. If you get it right you are ok. If you mess it up... Buy a new chain. With a file you dont take a lot off all at once so corrections can be made.
    You must get a lot of rain were you are we could keep enough chain around it hasn't rained here in quite a while.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Tree&turf:
    I am sorry offering my opinion on this matter. I appologize if I was out of line.

For all others:
    Thank you for straitening me out...

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have been hand filing for nearly 14 years. I dont even own a grinder. We have 2 at work and I refuse to use them. I get better quality with a file and a good eye.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I dont know. I can touch up my 20" 3/8 chain in five minutes and fix a completely wrecked chain (if fixable) in less than 15 with a good file. Thats quicker than I can take the chain off, grind it and put the chain back on. And the filed saw I think cuts better than the ground one. But thats just me.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Pretty much the only way I know how. I can't imagine using anything else in the woods anyway. Have an oregon jig at home to straighten the teeth even every now and then.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Best way:clapping: