Chain saw spark plug!?!?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnmaniac883, Oct 19, 2005.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Pulled the plug on my 16'' homelite ranger tonight, and one side was black, the other white...seemed pretty odd to me. Wondering if this is a cause for concern or if it is normal. Also, the dang thing will die out on me when being held in the vertical position or on the side opposite of the starter rope. Any help is appreciated, havent got the cash for a stihl yet :)

2. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

hey, not sure about the plug, but the dieing out when held on its side is something in the carb. I had a Poulan 18 inch and when i turned it on its side, it would die... turned out a piece of saw dust made its way into the carb. hope it helps :waving:

3. lawnmaniac883

Thanks, after I get done with all the work I gotta do with it, maybe I will take the carb apart and clean it up. Restrorob, anything on the white n black plug?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, Sounds Bi-Racial to me. :laugh:
    Two strokes just isn't enough for me, I prefere 4 or more
    Sorry I don't know about this one never got into the 2 strokers.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

A pic and description of deposits would be nice.....

First guess..... the plug is just barely hot enough to burn off the deposits.
    The half n half probably comes from the black side facing the intake charge which cools it off.
    Same concept as the way 4 stroke exhaust valves have minimal deposits and the intake valves are crusted.

Second guess...... poor fuel or oil, excessive oil.

6. lawnmaniac883

No deposits, clean plug, just weird as heck how this plug is bisexual lol.