chain saw???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by American_Lawn, Feb 29, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I am looking for a chain saw that will be used a few times a year for right now. I have a small shrub job coming up and I want to purchase a saw to do it. I want something that is above homeowner, maybe slight industrial. Any suggestions. Please be brand/model specific. I have been looking mostly at shihl and there are tons of options. Thanks
  2. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Stihl, Husky, Jonsered, Shindy, Efco (Cub), all make superb saws that are well above homeowner crap. If you have good dealer support, take your pick, get a smaller displacement saw and enjoy.

I like the Stihl MS210c for small work, very light and powerful enough to do whatever I need it to do.
  3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl 290 Farm Boss. Any Stihl is a good saw. The reason I recommend that 290 Farm boss is that it is only $299 at I dont think that deal can be beat. I bought a Husqvarna and am sorry I did.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a Husqvarna and I love it. I don't remember the model but it was around $300 and my dealer said it was a good saw for light use, but if I have a big job it will hold up.
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

we've had a stihl ms290 farm boss for about 4 years now and we have used it for everything from 2" saplings all the way to felling 3' diameter oaks and maples. that saw will cut through anything as long as you keep the chains sharp. we are probably gonna be buying an ms 460 magnum for the bigger stuff to take it easy on the farm boss. but its a big jump from a 330 dollar saw to a 900 dollar saw.
  6. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl MS180. Great saw for the price. It is a smaller unit, but if you are not doing large intensive work in trees - it will be perfect.
  7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have an echo cs-305, small , light and powerful for it's size. had mine since 2003 and still going strong, think it was $199
  8. dean1130

dean1130 LawnSite Member

I would sugguest a Stihl MS 250. It's a perfect saw for the homeowner. If you want something with alittle more power, where you might be cutting firewood or something along that line, then the husqvarna 346xp is a great saw, but alittle more in cost from the stihl ms 250.
  9. average joe

average joe LawnSite Member

Stihl 290 farmboss is a great saw. Buy some extra chains though.
  10. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

What do you guys look for in a saw? Engine displacement, bar size, ????