chain saw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sbvfd592, Feb 19, 2002.

1. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

well IM looking to find small chain saw just for when a branch falls after storm to cut it up and get rid of it for the costumers looking at a 16 inch homelight what do u pros run or do u not use them at all looking in the cheep range b/c i might use it 2 or 3 times a year

2. I use shindaiwa chain saws but echo and sthil both make great saws. There all on the high end of prices. But here is a idea for you.If your only going to use it a couple of times a year for broken limbs and such.You could buy a pole saw from one of the three companys I mention above.There easy to use and it is something you could approach your customers about .Tree pruning is another asset to your accounts. But if you are going to buy a cheap saw.I wouldnt buy new.You might find a old homelite at a flea market or garage sale for 50 or so.In fact the old cheap saws are better than the new cheapones

3. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

we use jonsered and efco saws have always had good luck!

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

last thing i heard homelite was out o buisiness unless somebody got the name from deere. for what u described,id recommend the craftsman 14-16 w 36 cc engine. ive got one and it gives good service . course ive got 3 stihls and a small echo also ,so this one dont get picked up as much as it did. but it will get light wk done .
    not something to use all day everyday. but itll do well for what u talkin about. stihl 50-1 an high test gas.later now

5. LexingtonKYcutter

LexingtonKYcutter LawnSite Member

Stihl 026 PRO. Best saw on the market. Very easy to start with a compresion release. Very light weight. Its omewhere around a 50cc engine but only weighs @ 10 pounds. Just a great machine would recommend you take a look at a Stihl!

Good Luck!

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I've got an 026 Stihl, bought it in 1990 when I was in highschool. Still using it today (though it might be ready to be replaced). I was looking at a smaller 020 or 021 type unit, but they're pricey. I'd shoot for the 026 recommendation. Used it on small stuff up to some bigger 2' stuff.

7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

In a word, "Stihl". :cool:

8. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

We have a tree removal crew and we use the following saws:

(1) echo 14'' bar climbing/topper saw

(1) stihl 026 - 16'' bar - excellent light duty saw,good around the chipper.

(1) stihl 029 - 20'' bar - excellent light-mid duty ground saw.

(2) stihl 044 - 26'' bar - excellent heavy-duty everyday ground saw.

(1) jonsered 920 - 36'' bar - used only for cutting large tree base.

Look into a 026 or a 029 with a 16''-20'' bar and that should be fine for medium duty use. however, if you want bigger... look at the 044, 046, or 066 with a 20''-26'' bar. Let me warn you....they pack some serious power though....;)

9. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

what do you all think of homelite saws it light dudy onliy like 2 or 3 times a year like around storms there one for like only 140 the home chepo

10. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

you should be able to get a stihl 026 for around $200.00 I wouldnt buy a "cheap" chainsaw... there dangerous enough as it is. A cheap saw may kick back easier, break, etc. and when something like that happens with a saw... ur in trouble... look in to the 026 or 029 you should be able to get one for like $200.00 or maybe less..