Chain Saw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawman, Nov 14, 2000.

1. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

As we in the East now now, winter is comming. I would like to know what is the best type of chain saw out there? Thanks for the help.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

What are you using it for? Cordwood or limbing? Use it daily or will it sit on the shelf for months at a time?

My saw, it doesnt get much use but when I do need it it fires right up and gets the job done-Husky 41 a good all-purpose saw but its kinda small for cutting large quantities of firewood. Stihl, IMO, makes the best saw. My next one will be a stihl 028 or whatever equivalent is around when the time comes.

If you are using a saw for limbing get one with a top handle so you can use it one-handed.

3. BCLawncare

BCLawncare LawnSite Member

Lawman, I suggest you look at stihl . I have used them for almost 20 years cutting timber. Stihl saws will run the same when it`s 100 degrees in the shade or -10 below .i dont know what you will be using a saw for but I can get 2 years out of a 066 that`s roughly 3 million feet of timber or 850 tractor trailer loads of logs.most guys that used to run husky saws that I know of now run stihls .good luck with your choice.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

If you decide to look at lowes
    be careful.Ithink they might be purposely
    misleading. look closely at the specs.
    If you want your best chance at a
    trouble free saw STIHL AND HUSKYS
    HAVE THE REPUTATION

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl or Dolmar

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a husky. I don't use it too often so its plenty for what I need. Its been very good too me and starts all the time. IMO Husky or stihl!!

8. Eric E.

Eric E. LawnSite Member

If you are using a saw for limbing get one with a top handle so you can use it one-handed.
    NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! One handed chain saw use is never recommened by the manufacturer. Look up the ANSI Z-133 Safety Requirements for Pruning, Trimming, Repairing, Maintaning, and Removing Trees, and Cutting Brush. These are the standards that OSHA will use against you.

9. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

How do the echos hold up? Just wondering?

Levi Duncan

10. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Stihl Farm Boss and love it. Never a problem even with the abuse that we give it.