1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Chain saws

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sbvfd592, Jun 13, 2002.

1. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

I IM looking to replace my old aging homelight saws a 18 inch and a 12 inch with a sthil and a husqvarna saw what do u recommend as in size like the 026 sthil? I need them for tree pruning and then in the winter for ice storms. maybe the small one could be cheep i inly use it 3 or 4 times a year the big one like 25 times a year .
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

stihl is my favorite saw. but i would recommend the echo 3000,and just what ever size fits u in a larger echo.
    i think its a lot o saw for the money.
    the stihls would be 026 and 020t.
    these numbers are not current but if u tellim what u are looking for ,a dealer will show u the same saw w its screwy number.
    ps the number dont hurt the saw quality.. think the 026 would be like a 02600,naw that aint rite but its somethin like that. i prefer the older 028 anyway. wish the had left the numbers the old way ,the new way sounds a poulanish to me good luck.
  3. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

I have a husky and used it for 3 years and still haven't had a problem with it. I would recomend only buying one saw and using it for large and small things. Unless you are going to be climbing then i would recommend a smaller saw as well for that
  4. grasmo

grasmo LawnSite Member
    from fl

stihl 044.
  5. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Have the 45. It's last years model. Have a new series of numbers now, but this thing is safe and cuts up trees! Chain brake works really well. Mychain jumped off the track last week and it stopped instantly!

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the help i need to get 2 diff saws one for small pruneing and a large one for takedowns and such
  7. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the husky 55 is awsome. We have bent 2 mufflers ion on it, and it runs fine with constricted muffler flow. Plus the oarts were not expensive or hard to out on.
  8. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

Being that husk saws are identical to poulen and made by poulen, Buy a stihl that matches your need. Stihl saws will last a lifetime if well maintained. No pun intended on husk, they are pretty good but there saws are no longer swiss quality machines. look into this if you dont believe me.
  9. Flyrod

Flyrod LawnSite Member

Husqvarnas are not made by Poulan and most are still made in Sweden. Electrolux owns Husqvarna, Jonsered, Poulan and Efco(new John Deere,Olympyk,Oleo-mac) saw companies. Stihl makes some junk saws as well. As long as you buy their "pro models" either Husky or Stihl make great saws.
  10. mikal

mikal LawnSite Member

Thnx for the correction Flyrod, I was under the impression from a friend who works in a stihl shop about the husk / poulen thing and checked all the tags on husks at Ace hardware and all of them said Made in USA (including mine). The Husk saw that I own looks identical to the the poulen pro, same engine etc. there was no dog spike on my husk when I bought it and had seen a poulen pro that had one. So I orderd a dog from poulen and the thing matched up perfect to my husk. That was my conclusion that whomever makes poulen is making husk like twins. In conclusion, For the model husk that I bought I should have saved the extra 100.00 and bought a poulen.