Chain Sharpener

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by wanabe, May 8, 2006.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Anyone have a chain saw chain sharpener? I am thinking about getting one. I have a bunch of dull chains, and new ones are over $20.xx. Do they work good, are they just a wast of time? I have tried a file, but I can never get them sharp. Thanks

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They sell a half-decent one at Harbor Freight Tools for 50 dollars, but I use my chainsaw maybe a dozen times a year or so. A true chainsaw sharpener costs closer to 150 but yes it is worth it because it gets the angle right every time.

The other option is to buy a dremel tool with some sharpening bits and you can get an angle tool over the Internet for around 10 bucks but within a year you will have spent 150 or more between new bits and all that stuff.

You can also see if your dealer will sharpen them for you, mine does but he charges $5 / chain, an option I keep around for when I am simply too busy to deal with it but yours might do it for less (mine used to do it for $3 / chain).

3. BCF

BCF LawnSite Member

I've been using th Harbor Freight one, and it works great. It does have a set pitch, so make sure your saw is using that one; I think most are. I use my cahin saw every day, cutting PT posts, and once you learn how to sharpen a blade they're as good as new. Another money saver is buying chain in a roll, then getting a breaker and master link riveter.

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $19.95 for my chain saw chain sharpener at Harbour Freight.
    Works well, easy to learn, and has saved me a ton of money.
    I have two saws and three extended power pruners in use for five months out of the year. I really don't know how many chains I have, maybe twenty.
    Even at $5 per chain that my dealer was charging, I got that back with-in the first sharpening.
    Now, it takes maybe two minutes to sharpen a really dull chain, after I week of use I have perhaps eight to do. So, in fifteen minutes, I didn't spend $40.