Chain Sharpening...What will make....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by o-so-n-so, Dec 9, 2004.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

the chain cut slightly crooked after I sharpen it a few times.

On a large stump cut off, with a new chain, I can make the cut back to the original starting point. After I sharpen the chain a few times it cuts away slightly, putting the chain and bar in a slight bind and making for a more operator fatigue. Nutshell= its cutting crooked.

I don't use a file guide and always take about the same off each side. I file right and left handed and push from outside in.

3/8 pitch
  2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

The cutting edges are higher on one side than the other. They need to be at the same height pretty much exactly or it will cut crooked. It is very difficult to do by hand. When a chain is sharpened on a dedicated chain grinder there is a jig that lets you grind each cutter to the same height. It doesnt really matter how much you take off, its how much is left. When sharpening a chain you look for the worst cutter, sharpen it and take all the rest to the same depth.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yup, What he said^
  4. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone use the carbide tipped saw chain? We are thinking of it because we get into certain situations where we have to dig around a stump, find the feeder roots, then cut them with the saw. In thjis application, the dirt left on the roots is killing chains. the carbide tips are supposed to stop that alot.
  6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Thanks to all for the info..... cutter height....

Joel B J, Where in Alabama are you?
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Carbide tipped chains will take a bit more abuse and still cut, but, carbide also chips and breaks when it hits stones or rocks. The carbide is much more "brittle" than the common steels used for saw chain. It is also more expensive to sharpen because a diamond wheel is necessary for sharpening.
  8. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

I haven't found any good solution to having to cut roots out. It simply kills the chains because of inevitable contact with dirt around the roots.

I sometimes use a sawzall, and just keep feeding it new blades. Would rather use the chainsaw, though. It's just that you go through chains like crazy.
  9. rander

rander LawnSite Member

As has been said earlier, you have filed one side a little higher than the other. If you don't want to invest in a power saw chain sharpener I suggest the Granberg File-n-Joint file guide. < is > It's the best manual file guide and holder I've found. It allows you to set and control all of the dimensions and angles for correctly filing almost any chain. There are some inexpensive power sharpeners but most of them don't offer decent guide functions.

You also can just use one or two old chains for cutting roots to replace the sharp chain. Takes a little extra time but the savings in buying new chains may be worth it.
  10. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I use an electric handheld sharpener that was made to be clipped to a vehicle's battery terminals. PITA to have to open and shut the hood every time to sharpen up, so I "hardwired" 4' of HD cord to the battery and used the rest of the cord to connect to the sharpener. Now the plug is within reach without opening the hood and I just plug it in and it's good to go. The cord's long enough to reach the rear of the truck, so I can use the tailgate as a workbench while sharpening. Absolutely a major timesaver. I keep a separate chainsaw for below grade work - it's the best way I've found to use up old chains.