Chain Store Lawn Maintenance Contracting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mgardner, May 27, 2005.

1. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

We were solicited this spring by a company called US Maintenance to handle Best Buy stores in our area. In my opinion , they are going to be tough to get paid type. I have nothing to do with companies that have policies on and on that do nothing but benifit THEM and screw a contractor out of his or her money. Time will tell if they are a decent outfit . After faxing umptine pages of red tape for a month and meticulously cleaning up the store (junk everywhere behind and in front ) trimming down weeds ..........we will probrably go see an attorney next week and see about getting paid and breaking the "contract" . Who has time to run down a facility manager to get him to sign off on work performed each month anyway ? They are always calling in the middle of a work day with pointed questions about this or that that they supposedlt didn`t recieve that they need right away.... Major PITA!! Had to vent . :angry:

2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

That is why I will not deal with Wal Mart, I know a guy who was doing one of them and he is always having to wait 4 months to get paid! PITA!

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I got the same thing a few months ago. I bid it high but looked like a pain. Ever get a CVS Pharmacy bid? I got one 32 pages long, i never even went to look at it.

4. Mowmoregrass

Mowmoregrass LawnSite Member

Run as fast as you can. Do a search on this topic.

5. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

Yeah, It may be a case of I bail out and after three hours of the shittiest clean up I performed this spring, have to eat it. They will have something in red tape that will not obligate them to pay. Another operator mentioned he was still hounding them for snow pay for another store they serviced. Had a gut feeling when I got a 34 page contract on the fax machine. Should have dumped it in the trash and called them . I ,instead signed off and dated faxed it back. Hungry early spring for decent accounts and like they say ,live and learn the hard way.

6. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I deal with US Maintenance and havent had any problems yet...."Let me go knock on some wood" Who are you dealing with from US Maintenance?

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to disagree here. When I billed Wal-Mart I was paid within 7 days. If I wasn't I had to call the store and tell them I hadn't received payment yet and they would then expedite the payment. I only had to call the store once in three years.

8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Do you deal with walmart or a management company?

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I was contacted for Best Buy early this winter for this year’s service. I spent a few days putting together some numbers and I read their letter over and over again I went to their web site and could not understand what they were. They had a black guy sitting on a dune in the middle of the desert with his back to the camera and that is supposed to mean what???? How does that get clients I have no idea the whole site was like that. So what made me say no thank you well a few things they wanted trees pruned I do not like that kind of work they wanted the irrigation systems turned on and off and maintained that’s not what I do get a irrigation guy. They said I would need to call them every time we did work there. But the real reason I would have to sign a genesis contract to work for them if they do not get paid I do not get paid and I would not be allowed to go after best buy directly. SCREW THAT no that’s not how this works you sign my contract I do not sign yours that is why I am a contractor I am not a sub contractor I have more work then I can even do and I do not like working for a lower rate. I am rather disappointed I would like the commercial jobs but I am not going to go through this to get them.

10. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Directly with Wal-Mart