Chain stripping kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Feb 3, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

OK OK...I know search...haha but I did for about a 1/2 hour with no luck does anyone know a past thread or can share info on buying or making a chain stripping kit for the Scag Turf Tiger...And also those who have used a chain stripping kit have you every got it caught in/on anything? Or any problems with a chain kit?
  2. EGGY

Go to home cheapo and get a rod about 36inchs long and some hose clamps and get enough chain to make enough 12 inch links
    Put the links on the rod and clamp it to the yellow rod between the drive tires.
    Place the links that are close to the drive wheels far enough so they dont catch when makeing z turns
  3. eggy

That sounds easy enough, do you use any spacers between the chain links?
  4. Just get plenty of hose clamps and they will keep the links tight against the yellow bar.
    Just wondin does your's have the advantage deck?
    We have gotten rid of all our scags and gone dixie chopper and exmark.Last scags we have are two walkbehinds.
  5. eggy

No it doesnt have the advantage deck. Thanks for the tips sounds pretty simple, I am also thinking about switching the turf tiger and walkbehind to another brand but I have very good dealer service with the Scag. Once again thanks for your help.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

You can make a striper from some heavy-duty truck mud flaps too. They have less risk of damaging any turf and are a lot quieter (especially when you drive on some paved areas).
  7. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the process of designing a striping kit for my Turf Tiger. I'm going to use 4" firehose to lay the grass down.
    Bill Craig!
  8. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I tried using a rod on my first attempt. suspended the rod from
    I-bolts at the rear of the frame. One of the links got caught on something and bent the rod.
    After that I went to a piece of angle iron and just drilled holes in it and attached each link with bolts. One thing my neighbour pointed out is that instead of making 30 holes only make 15 and use longer lengths of chain and attach it to the angle iron in the middle of the chain and let it hang down. I hope this make sense it looks like a "V" and the point is attached to the angle iron and the two "legs" drag along the grass.
  9. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

OK guys- this may be dumb but I just got my first walk-behind experience a few weeks ago.

Where do you put the striping kit- on the front (castor wheels) or the back (engine) of the deck?

I have a problem with clippings blowing out from under the front of my SCAG 48 deck so I was thinking of fixing a piece of truck inner tube to the front of the deck to 1) stop the clippings from blowing out the front and 2) to make those really nice stripes.

Will this work as far as the stripes go?

10. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

The blow out from the front of the deck should be addressed before tackling lawn patterns. It would sound that the front of your deck is incorrectly set higher then the back of the deck. The front of the deck should be cutting 1/4 inch lower then the back of the deck. This will achieve perhaps the best quality cut. Also You should always have 3 removable blade spacers under the deck on each spindle. Any more than this might be causing additional blow out. Any less and your air flow and discharge fill suffer.

Now to address stripes. It is never suggested to put anything out front of your machine. This would lay the grass down before the blades can do there job. Most walk behinds will stripe fairly well with out modifications if they are set up properly. Personally run a 48 Scag also and it stripes wonderfully with out add on's but I am also interested in making modifications in the future. You might mount a piece of conveyer belting or Mud Flap to dangle from the Axel rod below power unit. Nice stripes can be achieved with out modification, but maybe not as well. Here are some other variables that generaly contribute to great patterns: Engine RPM usually should be at the manufacturer's recomended RPM. Usually about 3500 RPM If you bought the unit used you might want to have the RPM checked by a meter. Some times new mowers are not even set up right. Engine belt must not be a sloppy fit, mower suprisingly still operates but does not perform as well. Sharp blades do matter in the appearence of your strip. Personally I carry a Metal hand file in the the truck and remove any burs from the blades at least twice a day. The type of blades that you use also contribute to the visibility of pattens Scag standard lift blades work well. Gators are nice blades but you loose a little in stripe appearence. Blade tip speed is also very important for striping. Scag and Exmark have very high blade speed. This is acheived by pulley sizes. I do not recommend changing these but always make sure your belts are properly adjusted.
    Dont forget changing your paterns weekly and have a specific disciplined rotating routine that always remains in exact order.
    Have you checked out the simplicity tractor page dedicated to mower patterns? Eric Elm's site? Searches out side of our fabulous Lawn Site are also very good. Much is out there about operator technique. This I do not remember seeing here as a thread but I am also learning how to use this site.
    Although the manual usually does not discuss striping you will be shocked of things that you come to learn from reading the manual. I have read many different manuals and regardless if they are new or very old There is generally an absolute revelation in each one. Sorry about the long post. If you need any clarification on the above please e-mail.

Bruck it is now midnight here and I have enjoyed sharing these thoughts. I hope that any punctuation or spelling error will not devalue these concepts.

Prosperity to you and all in the new season!

Good night