Chain v Roller Striper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HK45Mark23, Jun 16, 2005.

1. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

Please elaborate. What are the advantages of chains over rollers and vice versa?

2. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

I know that the chain cost less,and is kind of fun to put on,now the trick is to inter weave the chains together,like a rug or a mat ,once you do this! you'll hit this one out of the park!

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are several threads and posts on this, including many that I have responded to. Try a search, and you'll come up with several results.

4. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i just made a chain striper and it did not work. many said i did not make it long enough. tried it a little longer.....did not work (slightly better).

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You have to drag quite a bit of chain. Also, it has to be heavy chain. This is the real key. The lighter chains just don't do it. They just ride on top. You should have atleast 8 or 9 inches of heavy chain dragging FLAT on the ground.

6. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

Do the chains help to “rake in the clippings” and leave a cleaner appearance? I have heard some complain about not liking mulching because it looked dirty afterwards.

By the way Runner I did find maybe 5 threads on Chain vs Roller striping and did read them.

The reason I submitted this thread was because you hinted in a recent post as to there being definite differences and clear advantages.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,..some of the things I had mentioned were of course, cost, but also, you have great results, no maintenance, and you are able to do thing that you can't with the rollers. If you can find the thread that had Eric's pics on it, look at his stripes and the way they all go right to the bed edges. It appears like you drove right into the beds. Now, with a roller, you can do this somewhat, but not as clean as it is with the chains draging right from the edge when you back up to them. Also, there is no way to damage these like it is possible with the rollers. Now, I have the York striper that is built out of stainless, and while it has taken some pretty hard hits, thankfully nothing has happened to it yet.

8. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

These stripes were made with my homemade chain-drag stripe kit. It works well for me, does a good job in my opinion and holds up well. If you do a search on "Stripe-Kits" you will find some pics of my mower/stripe kit. Thanks Tony

P4160022.JPG

P4160019.JPG

P4160021.JPG

9. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

tony, joe....can you please put actual pictures of the chain stripers upclose?

i showed that i had 5 links (another thread) on the grond and still nothing.

i can't drag 3 feet of chain behind the mower just to bend the grass. one it looks stupid. two, it's dangerous

10. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I stopped using rollers and chains all together. The roller just fell off one day and guess what the deck was striping just as well. Started experimenting with deck adjustments by adjusting the back tire pressure. When I found the right stripe I measured the back left and right side of the deck recorded those heights then properly inflated the tires and adjusted my deck back to the height it was when the tires were improperly inflated.