chains for stripe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by horseman201, Nov 4, 2004.

1. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

I have seen companies in my area using chains on the back of their mowers to get a stripe to look better. Has anyone tried this and how do you attach the chains to the mower?

2. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

I made one out of an old conveyor belt that works very well. I used 2 pieces of 2" flat stock, a piece of 1" angle iron and bolted the ruber flap on. Bolts right to holes on the back of my mower. I know promower(LS member) has chains. Pretty much the same setup except he has a bunch of chains attached to the angle iron instead of a rubber flap. His does a good job also.

3. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

My son, sgoalie23 (lawn site member), made and attached one to his Exmark 48" HP. The cost was minimal. All the customers liked it. He has since removed it and is now using a stiper on the Exmark 60" Z. If you want, let me know and I will try to post pics in jpeg format :waving:

4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Like said, just attach the chains about 12 in. long to angle iron and bolt to the mower. I had one on my 737 but this year used the mud flap trick. I do think they both seemed to work just fine.

5. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

I run a flap and a roller. The flap works real good by itself. I run a flap and a roller for a more dramatic effect. Also with both on I can stripe pavement! ha ha

6. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have a 2002 SCAG that I attached a flap of belt tot he rear of the deck. This year I bought a 2004 SCAG and without any stripping aid it seems to do just as good as the 02. We run both mowers on the same lawns.
    OK, new here, Big question that is puzzeling me. In my area I have been crucified because I call my busines "Lawn Care". The crucifiction has come from those who do fertilizing. I do mostly mowing with the fertilization subbed. But not to those who *****.

7. a a green

a a green LawnSite Member

I use the chains on a 36" piece of square stock and bolt it right to the back of the mower, it works great.

8. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member