"Chains Or Rollers" For Stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, May 11, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I,m building a striper for my ZD
    What would you guys suggest...Do chains make a better stripe...Or do the rollers ?
    Any sugestions will be great
  2. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

I've not used chains...but wouldn't they get caught on stuff like water meters, etc...??
  3. out till dark

out till dark LawnSite Member

I think the roller does a great job but chains should work just as well.

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen both used. Another option to consider would be rubber mud flaps.
  5. Daner

Very nice art work there
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Nice looking stripes.
  7. Daner

I don,t think the chain would be the problem...but the bar may hit
    Hmmmmmmm may be make the bar go up if it hits something
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I just got the Exmark Turf Striper roller for my Lazer Z 60" and its awesome, it really does a nice job and will help the quality of cut as well as it floats the deck the full width on the rear. You have to float the deck when you turn to keep the roller from dragging sideways and bein' hard on their bearings, and also the weight of the deck (which is what makes the stripes so good) resting on the roller on the ground will rob traction. But nothing else will stripe as good. It does a really nice job, after using it today I can say I'm very happy with it. I've tried other setups before, the flaps help if the flap is mounted close to the ground (less room for flex) but the deck mounted roller is best. You can make one pretty easily though I bought mine.

Out Till Dark, beautiful job!!!!!
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Chekmate pro kit, the bar and rollers itself is on a swivel so it does ride up, that is not the problem: Since it rides behind the mower, when you turn, it's when the outer edge of the assembly catches something, that's what you have to watch out for, the rollers stick out, in my case, as wide as the deck and I should've gotten a smaller one but the problem exists nevertheless.

As for chains, I like them a lot because I put them on my older Wb and never take them off, stripes or not it's on there and it's under the transmission so it never gets in the way of stuff. Worst thing is the clatter-clank coming off the trailer, and a little clinkety-clink on pavement.

Nowadays, with the newer mower I just stripe without the kit, I really couldn't tell you the difference other than it is such a time-saver not to have to hook / unhook that dang thing every time, and there's no extra weight dragging the Wb (I can feel the kit on the mower, the machine has to do extra work to pull it).
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Chains are an awesome way to go, but if you are ding chains, you leave them open-ended. Do NOT have a bar across the bottom! This is very dangerous. The bar can snag on something and literally flip the machine over backwards. In the very least, it could do some serious damage to things like drain caps and such.