Chains or Rubber Flap for a stripe kit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TrpD345, Jul 18, 2006.

1. TrpD345

TrpD345 LawnSite Member

I know, another stripe kit thread, but I have searched a ton and not found exactly what I was looking for. I am wanting to make a stripe kit for my 737 and I can not decide between chains or a rubber flap. I definatly do not want the roller like John Deere sells for a number of reasons. Help me out with the pros and cons of each. Thanks!
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search and you will find many pic's that will help you decide what will work best.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

My thoughts on the "chain" ones is that they have the potential to be very dangerous.....or at the lvery east to be very "damagable" to your mower(s). It just seems to me the there is a very good likelyhood that one or more of the chains dragging the ground could actually catch on something like a root, a piece of metal in the ground, and old telephone guide wire post, etc that the operator just didn't see in the ground and in turn snatch the mower causing damage to the mower and/or injury to the operator.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with MMLawn....

A rubber flap kit can be fabricated to fit your needs without any of the negative issues from chains or rollers.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Above all, the links of a chain need to be large enough to NOT get caught anywhere on the trailer gate / grate !!!
  6. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

My 727A has a mudflap just under and between the rear wheels as the wheels do the striping themselves on the outside. Used truck mudflap (about 27") and $4.00
  7. tat900

tat900 LawnSite Senior Member

gl can we see piks othat im very interested im lookin to make one for my 717a
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Did the same trick on my 260Z with a truck mudflap. The gap on mine is 30" between the wheels. I bolted it to the deck and this way it isn't dragging over pavement when its not on grass. I had to notch it out around the rear caster wheels because it would get pinched and cause the wheel to lock up and skid/rip the grass. I got one season out of it. I haven't gotten around to replacing it this year but I have a different trick up my sleeve for my next striper.
  9. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I just bolted it up under the chassis. Make sure you make slits in the flap so you can let more of the flap down as it wears out though I have yet to lower mine at all and have used it about 200 hours. I made it about 1/4 inch above the garage floor AFTER you air the tires to the correct pressure.

727A Mudflap.jpg
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

IMO you want the flap mounted to the deck so that when you lower the deck it hits the grass and when you raise it it dont drag the pavement. Also, make sure you get a mudflap heavy enough to lay the grass down well.