Chains versus straps on skid steers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most equipment I have ever strapped down has been bigger equipment and around the axle by chains and about as tight as you can get. I will be doing some roading this year with my skid steer and I noticed I see allot of people strapping them down around here versus chaining them down. I know with the straps I need to cover all the sharp edges with something. Would it be a better idea for me to use straps than chains and rachet binders. I guess another concern I have is I notice especially on various brands of skid steers that the places designed to fasten the machine down does not look to be that thick of steel. Just wondering if I use chains and rachet binders if I could tighten them to much and bend the steel or brake the welds on the machine. I dont like stuff to move so I thought I would find out what you guys do. This would be on a 250 Series II Deere.
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have only used chains. I don't think that straps are DOT legal. Someone may correct me on that. I read the requirements years ago and am reasonably sure that you have to use DOT approved chain only.
  3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not positive, but I think KSSS is correct. I have always used chains. Someone just had a thread on load binders (was it you?). I prefer spring-loaded binders, and I use 3/8" chains. In Indiana, you're required to have one chain and binder on each end of the machine. If you're over 10,000lbs., you need a separate chain and binder on each corner. That's the law as I remember it.
  4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Chains always.

Straps are for dirt bikes,
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If your using 4 inch truck belts they will hold a skid steer on a flatdeck. Its how we strapped skid steers and mini excavators down when we were carrying them on the back of a flatdeck truck.

I wouldn't use the ratchet straps unless you use the big ones that use the 3inch wide strap. I use the 2 inch ratchet straps on my current truck they are rated for max 5000lbs each.

Straps are okay if you not running them over a sharp edge otherwise they are nicer to work with and you can get them tighter. When we were hauling the 763 Bobcat I was able to get the tires on the machine to squat with a strap over the roof.
  6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

chains only, one for each corner and one for the hoe
  7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i know you guys are going to grill me for this but i use one 4 inch strap through the grab handles on my cat, i know that is not what they were used for but half inch rod is pretty darn strong. i have never seen them bend or break and i use a 3 foot bar and tighten as hard as i can. i skid doesn't really weigh enough that 4 or 5 chains is required. dad moves his 943 with the front teeth wedged under the bar on the front of the trailer and one 3/8 chain and binder on the back, we have never had either machine move on us. if my trailer is slick/ frozen i might put a chain between the bucket and machine but that is all. sometimes we move a machine 3-4 times a day, 4 chains would just be too redundunt
  8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The Federal DOT laws state that any piece of equipment over 10K requires that it is sercured at 4 corners. Equipment under that weight need one front and back. Excavators /backhoe have to secure the machine and the bucket due to the articulation of boom. Do I think it is redundant yea I do. Does it suck chaining like that, it does. Do I do that all the time with my TK, no I don't. Usually I put three chains on it. Front/back and the hoe. I also put one over the tracks when I am going long distance or in bad road conditions. If DOT pulls you over they don't care how redundant you think the chaining requirements are. By not properly securing equipment we put ourselves and the public at risk will be what your told. I personally would not use straps. I guess what constitutes as "properly secured" may be open to discussion among us, but if we find ourselves in court be it criminal or civil, the DOT laws are what will be considered properly secured. Anything less than that and we are wrong.
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A long time lowbedder told me chaining a machine down too much just rolls the truck and trailer over when it does decide to slide off. A skid steer or a mini excavator isn't going to slide or roll off a equipment trailer that you would pull behind a pick up truck unless your driving like a lunatic.
  10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

GR says "A skid steer or a mini excavator isn't going to slide or roll off a equipment trailer that you would pull behind a pick up truck unless your driving like a lunatic".
    Today 04:30 AM

Your kidding right? What happens to that equipment when you get in a wreck or have to stop quickly. It moves or it wants to. Remember that when your driving 55 mph or whatever and you have to stop quickly or something stops you quickly, the machine on the back is still going 55 mph. Unfortunately many people only consider their own driving abilities (which may be over stated). You also have to consider everyone else that is on the road and their inabilities. A skid steer that is secured to a trailer, gets in a wreck and takes the trailer with it as it departs the pickup, will not go near as far as a skid steer rolling down the road (yes they roll quite nicely). I saw one several months ago on the Interstate.