chains vs bar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Gopher, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

I have just finished a search of past threads and found a lot of information on striping kits, but no one has commented on which is better for a walk behind mower. Chains are more expensive than a weighted bar, but that's not always better. My local dealer hasn't even heard of striping kits for walk behinds. Do any of you use these? Would a 60.00$ bar do the same job as 200.00$ bar. Any advise would be a big help.

thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Green Gopher

No replies yet!

was this a stupid question, or does just nobody use this kits?

Jeremy

3. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Try Frankenscag.
    If I remember correctly - he posted pictures in the thread on "STRIPES" or search for "Stripes 2003, Part 2"
    If Frankenscag is reading this thread he will most probably reply. I dont use w/b's so I cannot comment.
    Good Luck
    PC

4. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Gopher, I dont have a walk behind but I remember somone on e-bay (not me) selling striping kits for Exmark walk behinds..... My next statement drives me crazzzzzy when I read it but... do a SEARCH in the lawn and garden section of e-bay for striping kits or somthing similar.

The reason why that drives me crazy is because I often see replies telling the composer of the thread to do a search. I feel that when somone starts a new thread on a old topic they are looking for the most current info or thoughts on a topic in addition to stuff from the past. It's also possible they didn't find what they were looking for. Except for really new guys to this site most members use the search feature often. If anything else, new posts get the grey matter going. (I KNOW I NEED THAT!) Oops my caps lock was accidentally pressed. JUST KIDDING! Wow that felt good, ok I am off my soap box.

5. FERT-TEK

Gopher I will send the e-bay item # to you when I find it.
    Also If anyone took exception to my rant about SEARCHES I apologize. I like reading new info about topics, even if it is recycled. I am a new member to lawn site (September of 2003) and learned about the search feature quickly.

6. pcnservices

FLC Dave,
    I'm not defending myself here for telling Gopher to do a search. NO!
    This topic on Stripes was, and is still today, discussed in depth. Striping kits, chains, bars, walkbehinds and Z's each and every model and manufacturer, pictures on stripes, deck designs, baffles, how to stripe, etc. you name it.
    In the archives of this Lawnsite.com there are a wealth of information (written by the pro's for us to read and learn). More than what you will find in any library or bookstore. On Stripes alone there are more than 1500 topics. These topics are not locked at all. You can contribute to any of those topics at any time as you wish.
    I still think Frankenscag is the man you wanna talk to on your question Gopher. He even has is own manufactured "contraption" which works for him and was featured in the Turf Mag 2x already.
    Good Luck
    PC

7. FERT-TEK

Sorry PC&N, my rant wasn't a shot at you! Sorry if you thought that! It was a generalization about new posts. I also agree with you about doing searches.

8. pcnservices

Green Gopher, I'm trying to help you here. I dont know how to post these links but I'll try. Here's a link to a thread on how to make your own striping kit. This varies from rollers to rubber strips and some of the guys even have detailed instructions and material lists in their posts.
    Here's the link:
    How to make your own striping kit
    Here's to you FLC Dave :drinkup:
    Good Luck
    PC

9. FERT-TEK

I found three striping kit auctions on e-bay. Just put the item # into the search.

One 52" is at $10 e-bay item # 2366122425
    Two 60" each at $180 #2364947941 and # 2365160581

10. Green Gopher

Thank you PC, and FLC Dave for all your help.

I have thought in depth about trying to make my own kit, and I have searched the past threads completely, and still have not found anyone who has an opinion as to which is better for a walk behind chains or a bar. I guess the best thing to do is try one way and if it doesn't work try the other.

Why is it that most manufacturer only design striping kits for commercial riders? I know here in the NW there are so many Laws that are two small for even 0' turn mowers, But the home owners are willing to pay for service. They all want even their smallest lawns to look like the new Safeco baseball field in Seattle.

Thank you again.