chainsaw advice please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

I've been borring a friends 025 sthil everytime i need one, but i'm about to move from where i am now and just want to go ahead and buy me one, i'm a college student and i'm selling my company and moving off to a small college town that i am going to do some work in, the chainsaw does NOT need to be top notch because i won't be using it daily, but i do want a better than home depot one....i would spend AT MOST $300 so i need some recomendations, ask questions if i need to answer anything

so far looking at sthil and husky but i'd like some MODEL number recs, thanks guys

jeff

2. CTservices

CTservices LawnSite Member

since you are familiar with the stihl design, I would recommend a 029 farm boss. Good all around saw. They sell for right at $300 here plus tax. I have a 025 and a 041. I think that the ms290 is the new part number.

3. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

what size should i get 18 or 20? reasons why? like i said i don't use one often but if something comes up i want to be able to be out there and get the job done...

4. CTservices

CTservices LawnSite Member

I've got a 18" bar on the 025 and 20" on the 041. The 029 should do just fine with a 20" bar. Should be able to find a dealer and check the balance on a few. I like the combo I have, 041 for felling and large cuts, 025 for clearing limbs.

Good Luck

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

For a good all around saw, I'd say go with a 16 or 18 inch bar. 20 inches is getting a little big for all-around use, IMO.

Husquvarna (Husky), Stihl and Johnsored are all good brands that I've tried, but I'm partial to Husky.

The Stihl 029 Farm Boss or the Husky 55 Rancher (what I currently run) are worth checking out. Both have plenty of power and are on the border of high-end homeowner/low end pro saws. Neither is light though.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl. What ever the price. I have a o39 that I bought my freshman year of high school. used it all summer cutting fire wood. sat (with fuel and oil) for 4 years and started on my 5 year on 2 pulls. Fluke I do not know but will stick with stihl untill I get scre*ed.
    Go with a 16" bar and a 20" initially. You can always up grade to a 28 or 30 later if needed. but 16 and 20 will do pretty much what you need.
    Buy at least chains since you can easily dull these when trying to get the job done and a sharp chain cuts faster and is safer than a dull one.

7. smokymoose

smokymoose LawnSite Member

Jonesred is running a special I saw in Turf Magazine, bring them any saw in any condition and they will credit 100-150 for one of there saws. Jonesred is made by Husquvarna, first rate saws with the dealer back-up like Husky used to have before they sold-out. I would personally stay away from the newer small huskys there quality has gone south. Sthil's seem to get cranky when there older. I have an 046 mag that is a bear to start. My buddy works for Asphundhl(?) and for the limbing and light work like you are talking about they use Shindiawas. They are rugged. So look at Jonesred and Shindiawia you won't go wrong.

8. smokymoose

smokymoose LawnSite Member

Jonesred is running a special I saw in Turf Magazine, bring them any saw in any condition and they will credit 100-150 for one of there saws. Jonesred is made by Husquvarna, first rate saws with the dealer back-up like Husky used to have before they sold-out. I would personally stay away from the newer small huskys there quality has gone south. Sthil's seem to get cranky when there older. I have an 046 mag that is a bear to start. My buddy works for Asphundhl(?) and for the limbing and light work like you are talking about they use Shindiawas. They are rugged. So look at Jonesred and Shindiawia you won't go wrong.

9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Check into a Stihl 027 or 028. They should be in your price range and should be good enough for occasional use. An 025 would also be fine. Get no less than an 18" bar if possible.

10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I like both the Stihl and Husky. I found my Husky 55 Rancher on ebay for $130+s/h. I ended up paying $155 total. It was only used twice and what a great saw. I like the 20" bar, and have found it to be the best all around length. Just remember to keep in mind that you'll also need extra chains, bar oil, chain file for sharpening, and a case (since they're usually sold seperately). If you have a $300 budget check out ebay so you can afford the extras.