chainsaw blade sharpen

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by The Rookie, Dec 11, 2006.

1. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you guys pay to have your chainsaw blades sharpened?

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Sharpen myself, all you need is a file and guide

3. The Rookie

how much would you charge someone to sharpen a blade on a chainsaw?

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I second the hand filing of chains. I have been filing my chains for over 25 years now. A filed chain will cut circles around a machine grind job. But a lot of people just don't know it. I have an old Stihl 024 wood boss that runs great. It must be 15 years old or better. About 3 years ago I was asked by a friend to help him chop up a large tree. He had a larger,newer Stihl saw. I believe it was a 029 farm boss. Anyway he said he just had his chains sharpened and wanted to race the saws. I was up for that! So we warmed up the saws and we started cutting. I was through the log in almost half the time. My saw throwing out the nicest curled, large chips. His was putting out smaller chips and a lot of dust. He was amazed and asked what could be the difference. When I told him it's all in how you file the chain. I pointed out the nice sharp and smooth hook in my chain. Then showed him his rough non hook machine sharpened chain. He was sold. I think if you have a really bad chain then get it machine sharpened but always follow up with a file.

5. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

The only machined sharpened chain I've ever used is when they are brand new, I always hand file mine too. But lately I haven't had to file any, I've been cutting alot of dead growth and it flatout wears them out too quick and grinds up te drive teeth and sprocket before I can really get a good long life out of the chain.

I've got one of those 029 Farm Boss andit is a good saw, I also have an 024AV and I like it alot more, lighter, cuts great etc. I'd bet the guy you raced in cutting that log had a hoewoner grade chain with a safety link in it to reduce kickback, I only run full chisel square cut teeth and my 209 will outcut the 024 but the 029 doesn't stay in my hands as long as the 024 (029 is heavy whereas the 024 can stay in my hands longer and not wear me down as quick).

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I run a MS361 and with a sharp chain it is tough to beat, smooth antivibe and chain is sharpened in about 5 mins. Just touch up the rakers every now and then on the bench grinder and I'm set

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Hand filing all the way here. There are guides you can buy that clamp on to the bar to help set the proper angles if you are new to hand filing. I still use the clamp on file every now and then if a chain gets really chewed up.

8. The Rookie

I have a machine to sharpen chainsaw blades, both roundtop and flattop. I need to know how much to charge customers for this service. I have been charging 5 dollars and was wondering if this it too expensive or too cheap?

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

We pay $5.00 to get chains sharpened locally for contractors, and $6.00 for everyone else. (two places I've had it done, both charge the same) hope this helps. I just bought a machine sharpener, haven't had a chance to use it yet, hopefully I can do the same as you are and make some "mad money" on the side.

10. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Hardware charges 7 and a local man charges 5