chainsaw choice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccorts, Oct 20, 2004.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I am not sure where to post this, but I will start here. I need to know your opinions of the best chainsaw I need to purchase for my father. He has had recent heart surgery and has difficulty starting his old saw. I need a light/medium weight saw that is dependable and easy to start. Was thinking Stihl from past history but not sure of what has evolved. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

ccorts,
    Stihl has a few models that have "Elasto-Start". You simply pull the rope out, don't have to yank it like most pull start equipment. When you pull the rope out it winds a spring mechanism that when it releases turns the saw over. Pretty neat deal, check out the website which there is a link above in the sponsors area. I think it's on the 270 Wood Boss which is a smaller saw, so it may be lighter. Husqvarna has good saws too, I just sold my 41 (now is the 141 model) and that thing cut a lot of darn wood for being a smaller saw. Weighed like 10lbs. Wasn't that bad to start either. IMO if you stick with either Husky or Stihl he/you won't be disappointed.

Buck

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

The ms270 is still a pretty heavy saw...........(relatively speaking)(ms270-3.03 cu. in.- 3.35 horsepower)
    The ms250 with a 16" bar is a bit lighter has 3 horsepower with a 2.8 cu. in. motor and would serve a homeowner well.
    I do believe the ms250 can be had with the "easy start" system.(I think this is what is being refered to above) The elasto start (Mentioned above)I believe is just a
    shock absorbing handle for regular start saws.

There is a sponsor icon for stihl on the main page of this site, just click on it and go directly to stihl's homepage for further info..........

4. Up North

from MN

dvmcmrhp52, you are correct. I mis-spoke, the mechanism for easy starting is called the Easy2start. The ElastoStart is some sort of grip/handle to help in starting. I'd gone over so freaking much info before I bought my saw I had all kinds of crap floating around in my head...along with a bunch of other unuseful stuff. :dizzy:

Buck

5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

I knew what you were talking about but a homeowner may not, that why I tried to clarify.........

We ALL have useless info floating around in our seldom used brainpans! LOL!

Yes, the "easy2start",
    see we both had it a bit wrong...............

6. Up North

from MN

Think if we combined some of yours with some of mine we could squeeze something useful out of it?? Naaahhhh...screw it as I'll forget anything useful after about 10 minutes anyway. :D

Buck

7. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

8. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

ccorts I am going to buy my new saw this weekend. I am going to get the 353 from Husquvarna. Husky makes great saws the 353 is like 3.4 horse power 18 in bar or 20 in bar. It has smart start verry easy to start. The saw is also verry low on vibration and weighs about 11 lbs. They cost about $370. Hope this was a help. I almost forgot to mention I know three tree companys and they only use Husquvarna saws and the 353 is a mainstay.

9. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I own 3 saws. 2 Stihl's, one 32" bar and one 20" bar. There's nothing better than a Stihl when you have to chop up a 60' hard maple. This is the saw, however, that I use to do 95 percent of my work with: Echo CS-305 . It's lightweight, well balanced and starts on the first pull every time. The 305, in my opinion, is a great saw for a non-pro and would be perfect for your dad ( hope he's doing great ).:)

Regards,
    Active

10. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

Thank you for some excellent information. I will get him either the stihl ms250 with easy start or the husky 353. From your posts, either would be a great choice. Information from seasoned users......priceless!