Chainsaw comparisons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by c.wood, Jan 9, 2005.

1. c.wood

c.wood LawnSite Member

I am curious to know out there what everyone considers is the best chainsaw. I currently use a Stihl 021 for work and have been using this saw for a few years with really no problems, although I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on a better saw. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

The best one is the one that never breaks down and cuts really fast. With that said I always liked the Sthil Farm Boss as an all around saw.

3. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe a Bigger Stihl...

I have a few Stihl and a few Husqvarna saws. I believe that the stihl is a better built saw.

I have
    Stihl 044, 019t
    Husqvarna 55 Rancher, 335xpt

Any specific models you are looking at?

4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

When I'm not cutting grass I am a logger during the winter months. We use nothing but Husqvarna saws. The main reason we use them is that they are lighter and vibrate less than Stihls. We use larger displacement saws (372xp, 385xp, and 395xp) and they do get abused. In any given day one saw might go through 2-3 gallons of gas. Husqvarna just came out with a 570 and a 575xp and we should be getting one of each this week sometime.

5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

The 575 is nice! I just got one in and wish I could run it. It is built well and has better power at lower RPM than the 372. I also like the new pull handle they are going to, feels nice to pull on!

6. all ferris

I can't wait to get the new saws. I ordered a 570 for myself and the guy I work for ordered the 575xp. I wonder if the 575 will cut as fast as the 385. We use the 385 mostly but I prefer to use the 372 if I just topping trees all day because of the weight. If I'm bucking logs in the yard I got to have the 385.

7. saw man

from utah

From what I have heard it is close to the 385 but not as fast. I think you will like it! I took it apart when we got it in and I liked what I saw, other than it was heavier than the 372. But what can you expext with how emission are going now of days!

8. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Would anyone know if the Husky saws being sold thru the home centers and catalog outfits are the same quality as those sold by the authorized saw dealers?

I know Home Depot sells Echo equipment that is not up to the standard of the Echo my local lawn equip dealer sells. Lower power ratings, but the different model numbers give you a clue something is different too.

9. all ferris

Most home centers do not sell "professional" saws. try Baileys.com

10. saw man

from utah

All manufactures that sell in the box stores will sell it to there dealers! Some of the machine will be of less quality to attract there type of business.

You should be able to get the same price or better at your dealer with better support!

But to answer your question, Yes it is the same stuff!