chainsaw dull in 40min ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by blk90s13, May 5, 2008.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a 40cc husqvarna 18inch chainsaw 2 weeks ago and used it the weekend i got it then come to use it this last weekend its not cutting as quick as the first time

checked the chain tension checked the chain lube and the chain looks pretty new its not dul or anything

what do i need to look for ? the chain is still cutting its just way slower than that first time i used it

I did about an hour worth of cutting at the most

2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

did you get any dirt on it? it kills chains real fast

3. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Any dirt will full a blade. Plus if you let it get to hot it will get dull pretty quickly. Just sharpen it and move on. Not that big of a deal, all blades get dull.

4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

You are supposed to cut the tree not the dirt or roots. Even a little dirt will dull a chain very fast. Sounds like you should buy a few chains and then sharpen them you self.

5. blk90s13

yea i may have gotten some dirt on the chain :(, thanks for your input

6. dannyboy20

dannyboy20 LawnSite Member

Chains can look and feel sharp but can still be dull. Most likely you hit some dirt. Happens all the time. Just by a file and touch it up. Be sure to file each tooth with the same amount of even strokes and dont change the angle of the tooth. A good idea would be to get a filing guide. If you want a faster cutting chain get one without the safety guides. Look for something with a narrow kurf. Good place is www.baileysonline.com for replacement chains and files.

7. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Pferd filing guide -- its the best. I give each tooth 3 or 4 strokes every tank of fuel. Sometimes I get lazy and do it every other, but never more than two tanks without filing.

8. blk90s13

9. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Maybe, maybe not. You will need a file that will match up with the diameter inside your chain. It should have a size on it somewhere, probably written very small. I would take it to a local place and have them give you the right file size.

It will probably cost less then that thing.

10. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

ya a few quick swipes and most of the huskys i have ran dont have safty cutter there full of teeth there nasty