Chainsaw/Hedge Trimmer Accidents

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscape89, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

Chainsaws and Hedge Trimmers are probably the 2 most powerful yet dangerous tools in the Landscape Industry. I want to know how many of you guys had accidents with these tools before? I had an accident last summer with my Hedge Trimmer. The handle of the trimmer was wet and my hand slipped and I couldnt let go of the throttle fast enough. Cut a hole the size of a quarter right thru my pants, and boy did it leave a wound on my left leg! :dizzy:. Somebody I know actually got hurt big time using a chainsaw a few years ago. No Chaps, No Helmet, was actually lifted up in a Bobcat bucket not strapped in to trim the top of a 12' Tree :nono: . Anyways, the saw kicked back, he fell from the bucket and down he went with the saw still going. Face was banged up for a long long time after that. Can never be too careful I guess. Whats your guys stories?

2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I can relate.

I was in a hurry, using power hedge trimmers and it was wet out. I was not using the tool appropriately--as I was in a hurry--and it slipped and voilà! cut a nice deep 2 inch long zig-zag pattern into my upper right leg.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

a few times a year may dad would get some riprap work and we always rented a skid loader. well when we were done with the rip rap work we used the skid loader to trim palm trees with me in the bucket...never fell out. but I was up in the bucket of one of those trailerable man lifts and I reached out to trim the last few fronds and I guess the bucket pivot wasn't he greatest and the bucket pivoted I ended up gashing up my left wrist with my chainsaw.

and I've gotten my thigh with the hedge clippers as well.

My mom cut a tendon with felcos on her middle finger...

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I have way to much respect for the power of a chainsaw to have ever had an accident, but about 20 years ago I had been trimming huge hedges for about 2hours and my arms were getting to be jello (the trimmers were a tad heavier than:laugh: ) well I went to rest the trimmer body on my right thigh but missed the mark and rested the blades across both thighs while they were still spooling down.:cry:

Nowadays I just like to smash my finger pad off with a deadblow hammer while setting pavers...

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yup. $950 for 3 stitches to my left knee last year.
    I posted some pictures on here somewhere and everyone knew what it was from. Hedgeclippers.
    I was trimming around a huge overgrown boxwood stand and backed off a railroad tie retainer. My knee actually came UP to meet the clippers.
    Nice scar for my collection though. Tony

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

8 stitches in my right forearm last season...6 stitches in my left knee the season before...2 months off due to a broken ankle the year before that from getting hit by a huge limb I cut...
    Maybe Im getting more careful..so far this year, no stitches or breaks!

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Haven't done any hedge trimming (and hope I'm fortunate enough to not have to!), but used to run a chainsaw a lot as we burned wood for several years. Never even scratched myself, that I can recall.

A friend of one of our daughters took his big toe off with a chainsaw just last week (logging). I believe they were able to reattach it. Dang, I'll bet that smarted.