1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

chainsaw maintenance

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by seasonal services, Feb 9, 2005.

1. seasonal services

seasonal services LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have an old 029 stihl chainsaw that has worked well for years my dad had it now i use it and we have never done any maintenance to it. But i was just give a 200t that has been used alot, i dont much else about its history, but it still runs good. I was wondering what you guys do to your chainsaws as far as maintenance or tune ups to keep them in good condition.

2. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

The main things are to keep your chain sharp and well oiled, make sure theres plenty of bar/chain lube in the reservoir, and change the plug once a year. Also make sure your safety stops work (most important, of course!!)

Jason

3. seasonal services

seasonal services LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the info i was wondering if there is a fuel filter or air filter that ever needs to be changed.

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I clean the air filters on my 310 and 361 after every 2-5 hours of use. It gets dirty really fast. Having a clean air filter is crucial to keeping a saw going. Once you start sucking in dirt and starving it for air its down hill from there. I change the fuel filter every year or so depending on how much use the saw gets.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

In addition to the above, I also blow them off with compressed air often, lots of sawdust gets built up with the bar and chain oil.

6. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Thats right, forgot about the air filter!

Jason

7. deadend

deadend LawnSite Member

A sharp chain does wonders for keeping the air filter clean. Then again, a sharp chain makes everything about saws better.