chainsaw maintenance

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by seasonal services, Feb 9, 2005.

1. seasonal services

seasonal services LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have an old 029 stihl chainsaw that has worked well for years my dad had it now i use it and we have never done any maintenance to it. But i was just give a 200t that has been used alot, i dont much else about its history, but it still runs good. I was wondering what you guys do to your chainsaws as far as maintenance or tune ups to keep them in good condition.

2. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

The main things are to keep your chain sharp and well oiled, make sure theres plenty of bar/chain lube in the reservoir, and change the plug once a year. Also make sure your safety stops work (most important, of course!!)

Jason

3. seasonal services

seasonal services LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Thanks for the info i was wondering if there is a fuel filter or air filter that ever needs to be changed.

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I clean the air filters on my 310 and 361 after every 2-5 hours of use. It gets dirty really fast. Having a clean air filter is crucial to keeping a saw going. Once you start sucking in dirt and starving it for air its down hill from there. I change the fuel filter every year or so depending on how much use the saw gets.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

In addition to the above, I also blow them off with compressed air often, lots of sawdust gets built up with the bar and chain oil.

6. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Thats right, forgot about the air filter!

Jason

7. deadend

deadend LawnSite Member

A sharp chain does wonders for keeping the air filter clean. Then again, a sharp chain makes everything about saws better.